geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Full JNDI path to JCA
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2007 14:53:51 GMT
On 2/7/07, John Hawkins <hawkins_j@btconnect.com> wrote:
> When I deploy my war file to Websphere I don't need to declare anything in my web.xml
or in my geronimo-web.xml equivelant. AND - I can just use the jndi name that I create the
resource with in my servlet with no pre-fixing.

If you want to be portable and strictly spec-compliant, you have to
use resource references and java:comp/env/... JNDI names.  The spec
does not cover global JNDI names, nor offer any standard way to set a
global JNDI name for an application component, so you'd have to do
something different for every app server that happens to support
global JNDI names.  The current Geronimo release is not one of those
-- it does not include a global JNDI space.

That said, it is a common feature that several other app servers
support and people use, and it appears to be encouraged somewhat by
the EE 5 spec, so I think you'll see global JNDI features added to a
future Geronimo release.  (There's actually a thread on this on the
dev list today. :)

Thanks,
       Aaron

> In Geronimo it looks like I have to
> a) declare the resource references in my web.xml
> b) declare the instances of those resource references in my geronimo-web.xml
> c) I have to prefix the resource jndi lookup name with java:comp/env
>
> This doesn't look to nice from where I sit? I hope I'm wrong and someone's going to tell
me that all I have to do is deploy my web.xml with NO refs pre-defined in it and no refs in
the geronimo-web.xml and that I can just get the resource using it's real name and not it
java:comp/env - Just like I do in Websphere.

> Is Websphere being quirky here or is it Geronimo OR a combo?
>

> thanks,
> John.

not have this - I believe that I can get away without having this IF I know the exact name
of the JCA in JNDI - but all my combinations of java:comp/env/eis fail.

> > Can anyone confirm that I can get away without the resource ref in my web.xml and,
if so, where is the jca deployed to in JNDI?