geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Dave Colasurdo <davec...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Clustering Geronimo with Open Terracotta
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2007 23:36:08 GMT
Comments inline..

Gianny Damour wrote:
> On 17/02/2007, at 3:32 AM, Dave Colasurdo wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> Tomcat and Mod-jk provide the ability to have the load balancer lock a
>> particular httpsession (identified by session cookie) to a specific
>> cluster member.  This cluster member will serve all the requests for
>> this session until the cluster member tops/fails and failover to a new
>> cluster member  occurs.  This "stickiness" is quite useful for the
>> case of multi-frame JSPs where it is important that all concurrent
>> requests are executing in the same JVM (as per Java EE
>> specifications).  Hmmm, now that Terracotta provides the concept of a
>> global cross-node JVM, I'm wondering how important this is now ..
>> though still seems there would be  performance overhead in locking
>> across JVMs.. so I think Sticky Session is still useful..
>
> Hi,
>
> I think that if you have sticky load balancing, you do not need to
> acquire a distributed lock to service concurrent requests: requests are
> proxied to the node hosting the session state; each request acquires a
> *local* read lock for the associated session (a read lock is acquire
> such that requests bound to the same session can proceed concurrently).
>
> This is only when a request is received by a node where the session
> state cannot be found that a distributed lock is to be acquired.
>
> Thanks,
> Gianny

Hi Gianny,

Thanks for the input.  I agree no distributed lock is required with
sticky session since all request are guaranteed to be running in the
same JVM.

I believe that Terracotta transparently shuttles the session data
between the cluster members without the application server ever knowing
that the session was actually created in a different JVM.

For the case where sticky session isn't configured it is possible for a
multiframe JSP to spray requests to multiple servers concurrently.  The
servlet specification states:

"Within an application marked as distributable, all requests that are
part of a session must be handled by one Java Virtual Machine1 (“JVM”)
at a time."

So, for this case there would need to be some sort of distributed lock.
    I believe Open Terracotta provides a mechanism to lock across JVMs
though believe sticky port would be a much better performing solution.

-Dave-