geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ejb circular references
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:32:32 GMT

On Feb 22, 2007, at 12:24 PM, Spotts, Joel ((ISS Atlanta)) wrote:

> I have a bit of a predicament with circular refrences in EJBs. Due
> to legacy reasons, I have two EJBs - each which references the
> other (and refactoring would be non-trivial). I would prefer to
> keep them local (as opposed to remote) for security reasons.
> Trouble is, I don't know how to deploy such an arrangement in
> geronimo. Each EJB will need to reference the other in openejb-
> jar.xml with an <ejb-ref> stanza. But since each one is dependent
> on the other, each one cannot be deployed before the other (as
> geronimo checks for the ejb reference at deploy time). Without
> violated some accepted principals of physics, that leads to an
> impossible situation. How could I go about solving this issue?

This is supposed to work easily, at least if the ejbs are in the same
ear.  Deployment goes in phases: in "initContext" we try to find out
and "publish" all the things you could possibly reference, such as
ejbs and datasources.  Then in "addGBeans" we process the jndir ref
info and construct the jndi References to the appropriate stuff.  For
ejbs in the same ear, all necessary info should have been "published"
and thus available.

If you ejbs are in different ears, things get a bit trickier.  IIRC
you have to supply the entire  abstract name of the ejb container
gbean for at least one side of the relationship.

Are you speculating or have you actually run into a problem :-)?

thanks
david jencks