geronimo-user mailing list archives

From m...@aufdencamp.com
Subject Geronimo EJB Help - Remote EJB Client Invocation
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 21:00:08 GMT
I've moved beyond a web application and am dabbling in EJB's.&nbsp; I'm
running Geronimo 1.1.1 with a current version of Eclipse and the MyEclipse Plug-in as a development
environment.&nbsp; I've managed to educate myself on the MyEclipse way of EJB's using
thier XDoclet support.&nbsp; I've successfully produced an openejb-jar.xml&nbsp;deployment
descriptor that results in a simple HelloWorld&nbsp;EJB deployed on the server.&nbsp;
Woo Hoo!&nbsp; Hold the&nbsp;applause and party please, because I can't seem to call
the damn thing!&nbsp; Sooo, I thought I've done enough RTFM and I was ready to ask for
help:) (As in not wasting anyones time, but ready to go see the professor before class)</div>
1)&nbsp; Remote client library requirements.&nbsp; I've located the
openejb-core-2.1.1.jar.&nbsp; I presumed this was all I might need for client access.&nbsp;
I've discovered the javax.ejb libraries aren't incorporated into this. (Specifically the javax.ejb.CreateException
asserted the fact,&nbsp;but I'm sure this cascades&nbsp;catastrophically into many
classes)&nbsp; I know I can get them from a JBoss jar that MyEclipse includes, or maybe
from the Eclipse Web Tools Project.&nbsp; I worked with Visual Age for Java once upon
a time and remember generating stubs and skeletons and client jar packaging.</div>
Can someone direct me appropriately on Geronimo/OpenEJB client jar
generation from inside Eclipse?</div>
Are all of the required client libraries for a remote call to OpenEJB
contained in the Geronimo distribution? i.e. javax.ejb&nbsp; This might cascade to the
web container, as in documenting what standard libraries are provided by Geronimo and what
libraries are expected from other sources that might affect standard usage.&nbsp; This
would be really helpful.</div>
2)&nbsp; JNDI naming.&nbsp; I think I might have gotten past this, but
want to confirm.&nbsp; A remote object context lookup for an EJB will utilize a naming
convention of "java:comp/env" concantenated ("/" presumed)&nbsp;with the value of the
&lt;jndi-name&gt; from the beans openejb-jar.xml deployment descriptor.&nbsp;
i.e. &lt;jndi-name&gt;ejb/HelloWorld&lt;/jndi-name&gt; = "java:/comp/env"&nbsp;+
"/" + "ejb/HelloWorld" = ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/ejb/HelloWorld")&nbsp; Is this correct?</div>
I've downloaded MC4J in an attempt to view and validate the JNDI
tree.&nbsp; It doesn't appear to be exposed via an MBean and there is no component of
the console that appears to provide this information.&nbsp; Is there anyway to actually
see/validate the container directory entries?</div>
3) Security Principal and Credentials.&nbsp; I presumed the God
parameters of "system" and "manager" would suffice here.&nbsp;However, I appear to be
catching an Authentication&nbsp;Exception.&nbsp; I haven't seen any decent documentation
on EJB deployment security configuration.&nbsp; Is there a document somewhere specific
for Geronimo/OpenEJB that clearly defines the deployment descriptor requirements in conjunction
with a remote&nbsp;EJB client?</div>
4) Provider URL. Pretty basic.&nbsp; "localhost:4201" as the default
local server, "server.domain.gtld:4201" for remote network clients.&nbsp; Obviously Name
Services, Firewalls, and Nat impact this information.&nbsp; What other container configuration
might be required for remote EJB client access to EJB's?&nbsp; I've seen reference to
&lt;Allow&gt; descriptors for the GBean of OpenEJB.&nbsp; Can someone confirm
the default and necessary requirements to make it accessible from the localhost, a specific
address,&nbsp;a subnet, or globally?</div>
5) How consistent is this going forward to 1.2 and 2.0?&nbsp; I presume
2.0 is EJB 3.0 compliant.&nbsp; I'd like to follow this lesson through to an EJB 3.0 with
Web Service Exposure.&nbsp; Maybe even some web service transaction examples!</div>
BTW, I'm running this development concurrently on my Windows platform
and OS X:)&nbsp;</div>