geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Hans J. Prueller" <hans.pruel...@gmx.net>
Subject AW: using OpenJPA in EJB2.1 application (was: ejb2.1 to Geronimo2.0 migration strategy)
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 18:48:35 GMT
david,

thank you for your comments.

please note: our problem is that we have to migrate a project consisting of
about 70 CMP/CMR'ed entity beans (ejb2.1).

it will be impossible for us to migrate the whole app at once from ejb2.1 to
openJPA or something else. so what my plan

is, is to continue running the application within our current ejb2.1
container and perform a step-by-step migration of the

ejb2.1 entity beans from ejb2.1 to openJPA - still running within our ejb2.1
container.

as soon as all "old" entity beans are migrated to openJPA we then could
easily switch the whole app to Geronimo.

Hans

  _____

Von: David Jencks [mailto:david_jencks@yahoo.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 01. Februar 2007 18:29
An: user@geronimo.apache.org
Betreff: Re: using OpenJPA in EJB2.1 application (was: ejb2.1 to Geronimo2.0
migration strategy)

On Feb 1, 2007, at 7:41 AM, Hans J. Prueller wrote:

Hi together,

I decided that it would be a valuable way to migrate existing CMP2.1 EJBs to
OpenJPA, as this should also work

OUTSIDE a Java EE 5 (and therefore inside EJB2.1) container. The problem I
see is that I have to provide the OpenJPA

mappings as Java5 annotations, and EJB2.1 projects are bound to Java 1.4 -
without having annotations.

run geronimo under jdk 1.5.  This will work unless you are using corba.  The
almost released 1.2 might work if you are using corba.

Is there a way of providing the mapping via XML-descriptor too?

yes, as per jpa spec.

Does anybody see other possible failures when running OpenJPA within a Java
EE 1.4 container?

I'm not sure why you don't want to use annotations. You should use the
geronimo 1.2 not-quite-released version which includes jpa and in particular
openjpa support.  I converted the daytrader performance test app to use jpa
and it works fine.  In particular you can use container managed entity
managers/persistence contexts rather than app managed ones.  You might like
to take a look at daytrader trunk, it has all the annotations and a jpa
plan.  You do need to run geronimo under jdk 1.5 for this to work.

svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/daytrader/trunk daytrader

thanks

david jencks

regards,