geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Development Setup for Apache Geronimo
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 04:25:01 GMT

On Jan 2, 2007, at 10:58 PM, problems mail wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to setup a development server for multiple developers
> on Geronimo. Is there a development setup for this ?
>
> Using tomcat we would have different ports and separate
> installations of tomcat.
>
> Anyone already setup their development environments ? - Please
> provide details.

This is possible, but I have to wonder why your developers don't just
run geronimo on their own machines.

You can change the  ports using the config.xml file.

You can actually share the geronimo repository by starting with a
command line argument

java -Dorg.apache.geronimo.server.name=myServer -jar bin/server.jar --
long

in which case the server specific files will be located in myServer/var

However you may find that each developer deploying the same app on
their server interferes with the same app deployed by other developers.

this will require you to change a lot of ports, such as jndi (1099),
remote deploy, possibly the ejb listener, etc etc.

You can also just start a lot of tomcat instances in one copy of
geronimo -- basically copy the tomcat plan, rename the configuration,
and change all the ports, and deploy it.  the app deployment plan can
select the tomcat instance using the <web-container> element (IIRC).
However the apps will all have to have different moduleIds determined
by the plan.

I hope you have a good reason to try to do this because it is going
to be a substantial amount of nuisance to set up.

thanks
david jencks