geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Accessing EJB via JNDI from a web application
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2007 01:24:44 GMT

On Jan 18, 2007, at 3:02 PM, Aman Nanner/MxI Technologies wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running into an issue using the Geronimo 1.2 beta release.
>
> I'm running a web application from which an EJB is being looked up
> via its
> JNDI name as declared in the openejb-jar.xml descriptor that
> resides in the
> EJB module.  In my web.xml for the web application, I have the EJB
> declared
> as a reference.
>
> The problem is that I get a NameNotFoundException by looking up the
> EJB via
> the JNDI name.  However, if I look up the EJB via it's EJB
> reference, as
> defined in the ejb-jar.xml, then the lookup succeeds.  I know that
> I should
> be using the EJB reference to look up the EJB anways, but I've got
> a legacy
> app that I'm trying to port to Geronimo that is littered with EJB
> lookups
> using direct JNDI names.
>
> Before I dive into the Geronimo source code, perhaps somebody knows
> for
> sure that EJB JNDI lookups are supposed to fail from within a server
> context (i.e. it will fail by design) and let me know?

You have to do a bit of work to enable this -- we didn't end up
including all the pieces in geronimo.

If you check out https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/
plugins/global-jndi you'll find a class EjbBindings.  I don't think
this made it into geronimo itself.  If you build this little project
and deploy an instance of this ejbBindings gbean in your ejb app it
should result in each ejb getting bound in the global java:context
under the names you specified in the openejb-jar plan.

I think the gbean config would look something like

<gbean name="EjbBindings"
class="org.apache.geronimo.gjndi.binding.EJBBindings">
     <attribute name="homeContext">remote</attribute>
     <attribute name="localHomeContext">local</attribute>
</gbean>

Then a typical remote home would be bound at java:remote/foo.

Hope this helps and sorry for not making it easier.

thanks
david jencks