geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: geronimo mail 1.1.1
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:48:35 GMT
Michael C. wrote:
> We are finally using the SMTPTransport class from Geronimo.  We had a
> mail.jar file on our system path that was being picked up.  At this point,
> we are getting an AuthenticationFailedException.  If we do not need a GBEAN
> configuration, how do we configure our mail server and port number in the
> plan?  Or should we not need to since our application logic is reading this
> information from an external file and will "tranparently" pass this
> information to the geronimo SMTPTransport class.

I hate to keep asking the same question over and over again, but I'm
afraid I have to.  How you configure the transport depends on
how you are creating the mail session within your application.  This
includes setting up authentication information if your target SMTP
server requires it.  If you are creating the session by doing:

Session mySession = Session.getInstance(props);

Then you are responsible for configuring things like the server and port
number in the property bundle you use to create the session.  No GBean
configuration is necessary,  or even  has any effect if you do happen to
specify it.

If you are using InitialContext.lookup() to get the configured mail
session GBean, then you DO need to have a configured mail session and
can set up things like the authentication information on the
SMTPTransport definition.

> Below is the new error and includes the form of the email address we were
> using, which is actually the FROM address, but seems to be treating it as a
> TO address according to the error:

I really would like to see the exact string being set in the API call,
not the string reported by the error message.  However, an
authentication failure us different than the error you were reporting
earlier, and indicates you've not provided correct information for
accessing the target server.

Rick

> .war/WEB-INF/lib/geronimo-javamail-transport.jar!/META-INF/javamail.default.providers
>
> DEBUG: loading new provider protocol=smtp,
> className=org.apache.geronimo.javamail.transport.smtp.SMTPTransport,
> vendor=Apache Software Foundation, version=1.0
>
> DEBUG: getProvider() returning provider protocol=smtp;
> type=javax.mail.Provider$Type@63b627;
> class=org.apache.geronimo.javamail.transport.smtp.SMTPTransport;
> vendor=Apache Software Foundation;version=1.0
>
> <<Error>> Fri Jan 26 16:28:04 EST 2007 <;>
> Class=framework.services.OutboundEmailMgr <;> ID=2 <;> Message=Could not
> send eMail to address mcroft@amica.com <;>
> Thread=Thread[WebApp--TP-Processor3,5,main] <;> Original
> Exception=javax.mail.SendFailedException: Send failure
> (javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: null):Send failure
> (javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: null) <</Error>>
>

> Rick McGuire wrote:
>
>> Michael C. wrote:
>>
>>> We removed all references to the sun mail.jar file in the geronimo
>>> classpath
>>> and i removed the GBEAN references from the geronimo email plan and left
>>> only the geronimo mail dependency jars.  We undeployed the old plan and
>>> redeployed the new and ran the application.  We recieved an error that i
>>> expected.  The app could not find the provider for smtp.  Since our
>>> application references the sun javax.mail SMTP class indirectly via the
>>> javax.mail.Transport.send(message); call, i am not sure how internally
>>> geronimo would resolve to use the geronimo SMTPTransport mail class.
>>>
>> Transport.send() uses the context class loader to identify and load the
>> list of Transport and Store providers using files contained in the
>> META-INF directories of the jar files.  Once the classpath is set up
>> correctly, it's all automatic.  Your original problem was caused by
>> having both the sun mail.jar in the classpath with the Geronimo mail
>> jars.  This caused the Sun version to end up overriding the Geronimo
>> version.  This might actually work, but it appears you might have hit an
>> incompatibility.  I'm willing to chase that incompatibility, but I'll
>> need the exact form of the address you used to add the address.
>>

>>> But, i
>>> thought somehow the geronimo email plan we deployed would handle this.
>>> Here
>>> is the error:
>>>
>>> Thu Jan 25 16:33:49 EST 2007 <;> <;> ID=3 <;> Message=Could
not locate
>>> the
>>> internet provider for someone@somewhere.com<;>
>>> Thread=Thread[AmicaWebApp--TP-Processor3,5,main] <;> Original
>>> Exception=javax.mail.NoSuchProviderException: Unable to locate provider
>>> for
>>> protocol: smtp:Unable to locate provider for protocol: smtp
>>>
>>> We cannot change our application logic to use the geronimo SMTPTransport
>>> class since our production environment is not Geronimo.  Here is our
>>> application import list:
>>>
>>> import javax.mail.Message;
>>> import javax.mail.MessagingException;
>>> import javax.mail.NoSuchProviderException;
>>> import javax.mail.SendFailedException;
>>> import javax.mail.Session;
>>> import javax.mail.Transport;
>>> import javax.mail.internet.AddressException;
>>> import javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress;
>>> import javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage;
>>>
>>> We cannot change these imports due to the reasons i mentioned above, but
>>> since the javax.mail.Transport object uses the
>>> com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport class, how can we tell it to use the
>>> geronimo SMTPTransport class?  Should this be handled by our plan without
>>> having to change our application code?  here is the plan we deployed:
>>>

>> You shouldn't have to, this should be getting resolved automatically.
>> The critical dependencies to make this happen are the javamail spec jar,
>> the activation jar,  and the javamail transport jar
>> (geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec, geronimo-activation_1.0.2_spec and
>> geronimo-javamail-transport).  You do not need a dependency on
>> geronimo-mail and you do not need to configure a mail session GBean
>> unless your application obtains the mail session by doing a jndi lookup.
>>
>> I have seen a problem where some application environments (e.g, the
>> Quartz scheduler) were not setting the correct thread context class
>> loader before calling the application methods.  This resulted in a
>> failure because the incorrect class loader was getting used to resolve
>> the javamail transport code.  In this case, it was necessary to set the
>> context class loader using the load obtained from
>> "this.getClass().getClassLoader()"
>>
>> .
>> Rick
>>
>>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>>> <module xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.1">
>>>  <dep:environment
>>> xmlns:dep="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.1">
>>>    <dep:moduleId>
>>>      <dep:groupId>geronimo</dep:groupId>
>>>      <dep:artifactId>javamail-server</dep:artifactId>
>>>    </dep:moduleId>
>>>
>>>    <dep:dependencies>
>>>      <dep:dependency>
>>>        <dep:groupId>geronimo</dep:groupId>
>>>        <dep:artifactId>geronimo-mail</dep:artifactId>
>>>        <dep:version>1.1.1</dep:version>
>>>        <dep:type>jar</dep:type>
>>>        <dep:import>classes</dep:import>
>>>      </dep:dependency>
>>>      <dep:dependency>
>>>        <dep:groupId>geronimo</dep:groupId>
>>>        <dep:artifactId>geronimo-javamail-transport</dep:artifactId>

>>>        <dep:version>1.1.1</dep:version>
>>>        <dep:type>jar</dep:type>
>>>        <dep:import>classes</dep:import>
>>>      </dep:dependency>
>>>      <dep:dependency>
>>>        <dep:groupId>geronimo</dep:groupId>
>>>        <dep:artifactId>rmi-naming</dep:artifactId>
>>>        <dep:version>1.1.1</dep:version>
>>>        <dep:type>car</dep:type>
>>>      </dep:dependency>
>>>    </dep:dependencies>