geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: geronimo mail 1.1.1
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:39:10 GMT
Michael C. wrote:
> We removed all references to the sun mail.jar file in the geronimo classpath
> and i removed the GBEAN references from the geronimo email plan and left
> only the geronimo mail dependency jars.  We undeployed the old plan and
> redeployed the new and ran the application.  We recieved an error that i
> expected.  The app could not find the provider for smtp.  Since our
> application references the sun javax.mail SMTP class indirectly via the
> javax.mail.Transport.send(message); call, i am not sure how internally
> geronimo would resolve to use the geronimo SMTPTransport mail class.

Transport.send() uses the context class loader to identify and load the
list of Transport and Store providers using files contained in the
META-INF directories of the jar files.  Once the classpath is set up
correctly, it's all automatic.  Your original problem was caused by
having both the sun mail.jar in the classpath with the Geronimo mail
jars.  This caused the Sun version to end up overriding the Geronimo
version.  This might actually work, but it appears you might have hit an
incompatibility.  I'm willing to chase that incompatibility, but I'll
need the exact form of the address you used to add the address.

> But, i
> thought somehow the geronimo email plan we deployed would handle this.  Here
> is the error:
>
> Thu Jan 25 16:33:49 EST 2007 <;> <;> ID=3 <;> Message=Could not locate
the
> internet provider for someone@somewhere.com<;>
> Thread=Thread[AmicaWebApp--TP-Processor3,5,main] <;> Original
> Exception=javax.mail.NoSuchProviderException: Unable to locate provider for
> protocol: smtp:Unable to locate provider for protocol: smtp
>
> We cannot change our application logic to use the geronimo SMTPTransport
> class since our production environment is not Geronimo.  Here is our
> application import list:
>
> import javax.mail.Message;
> import javax.mail.MessagingException;
> import javax.mail.NoSuchProviderException;
> import javax.mail.SendFailedException;
> import javax.mail.Session;
> import javax.mail.Transport;
> import javax.mail.internet.AddressException;
> import javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress;
> import javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage;
>
> We cannot change these imports due to the reasons i mentioned above, but
> since the javax.mail.Transport object uses the
> com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport class, how can we tell it to use the
> geronimo SMTPTransport class?  Should this be handled by our plan without
> having to change our application code?  here is the plan we deployed:

You shouldn't have to, this should be getting resolved automatically.
The critical dependencies to make this happen are the javamail spec jar,
the activation jar,  and the javamail transport jar
(geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec, geronimo-activation_1.0.2_spec and
geronimo-javamail-transport).  You do not need a dependency on
geronimo-mail and you do not need to configure a mail session GBean
unless your application obtains the mail session by doing a jndi lookup.

I have seen a problem where some application environments (e.g, the
Quartz scheduler) were not setting the correct thread context class
loader before calling the application methods.  This resulted in a
failure because the incorrect class loader was getting used to resolve
the javamail transport code.  In this case, it was necessary to set the
context class loader using the load obtained from
"this.getClass().getClassLoader()"

.
Rick