geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Robert Glover <robertglove...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Startup issues
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:53:42 GMT
Hi group,
   I've been lurking but wanted to quickly add my two cents. I had terrible
problems (terrible to me, anyway) getting geronimo to startup from within
Eclipse until I finally realized the problem was my Norton Internet Security
program which was silently not allowing access to ports needed by geronimo.

    The geronimo error messages were (to me) completely unintelligible because
all they said was that a GBEAN had failed. (It's been a while, I forget the
name of the GBEAN).

  It got more frustrating when it turned out Norton's configuration screens did
not work right (they gave javascript errors) because I had installed IE 7.
There was additional confusion because I was using Zone Alarm which had some
security settings that overlapped some of those in Norton.

    As a result of that mess, which I eventually got to work by modifying
pre-exisitng Norton rules (the javascript errors prevented me from making new
rules), I recently removed Norton and all other security/spyware/firewall
programs and settled io Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite as the one and only
security program running on my WinXp PC.

   I think it would be wonderful if the geronimo documentation had a section
about the nightmares of anti-virus programs interfering with Geronimo.

best wishes to everyone,
Robert

--- Peter Petersson <peter@pmb.mine.nu> wrote:

> Something else may be running on one of the ports used by Geronimo check
> the following ports
>
>     1099   RMI Naming
>     1527   Derby Connector
>     4201   ActiveIO Connector EJB
>     4242   Remote Login Listener
>     8009   Tomcat Connector AJP
>     8080   Tomcat Connector HTTP
>     8443   Tomcat Connector HTTPS
>     9999   JMX Remoting Connector
>    61616  ActiveMQ Message Broker Connector
>
> If you are using a linux system you can check whats on the ports by
> running something like "netstat -penat"
>
> /Peter
>
> Nirav Mehta skrev:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having issues starting up Geronimo on my machine. The following is
> > the log:
> >
> > 19:51:03,125 ERROR [GBeanInstanceState] Error while starting; GBean is
> > now in the FAILED state:

abstractName="org.apache.geronimo.configs/j2ee-security/2.0-M1/car?ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.configs/j2ee-security/2.0-M1/car,j2eeType=GBean,name=JaasLoginServiceRemotingServer"

> > java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind
> >  at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
> >  at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
> >  at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(Unknown Source)
> >  at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)
> >  at javax.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.createServerSocket(Unknown
> > Source)
> >  at

org.activeio.net.SocketStreamChannelFactory.bindStreamChannel(SocketStreamChannelFactory.java

> > :96)
> >  at

org.activeio.net.SocketSyncChannelFactory.bindSyncChannel(SocketSyncChannelFactory.java:74)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.security.remoting.jmx.JaasLoginServiceRemotingServer.createAsyncChannelServer(JaasLoginServiceRemotingServer.java

> > :148)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.security.remoting.jmx.JaasLoginServiceRemotingServer.doStart(JaasLoginServiceRemotingServer.java:114)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.createInstance(GBeanInstance.java

> > :984)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.attemptFullStart(GBeanInstanceState.java:267)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.start(GBeanInstanceState.java:102)
> >  at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.start
> > (GBeanInstance.java:529)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanDependency.attemptFullStart(GBeanDependency.java:111)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanDependency.addTarget(GBeanDependency.java:146)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanDependency$1.running(GBeanDependency.java:120)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicLifecycleMonitor.fireRunningEvent(BasicLifecycleMonitor.java:173)
> >  at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicLifecycleMonitor.access$300
> > (BasicLifecycleMonitor.java:41)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicLifecycleMonitor$RawLifecycleBroadcaster.fireRunningEvent(BasicLifecycleMonitor.java:251)
> >  at
> > org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.attemptFullStart
> > (GBeanInstanceState.java:292)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.start(GBeanInstanceState.java:102)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.startRecursive(GBeanInstanceState.java

> > :124)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.startRecursive(GBeanInstance.java:543)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.startRecursiveGBean(BasicKernel.java:379)
> >  at
> >
> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.ConfigurationUtil.startConfigurationGBeans
> > (ConfigurationUtil.java:378)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.KernelConfigurationManager.start(KernelConfigurationManager.java:187)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.startConfiguration

> > (SimpleConfigurationManager.java:527)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.startConfiguration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:508)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager$$FastClassByCGLIB$$ce77a924.invoke

> > (<generated>)
> >  at net.sf.cglib.reflect.FastMethod.invoke(FastMethod.java:53)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.FastMethodInvoker.invoke(FastMethodInvoker.java:38)
> >  at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke
> > (GBeanOperation.java:124)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.java:820)
> >  at
> > org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.RawInvoker.invoke(RawInvoker.java:57)
> >  at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.RawOperationInvoker.invoke
> > (RawOperationInvoker.java:35)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.ProxyMethodInterceptor.intercept(ProxyMethodInterceptor.java:96)
> >  at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.EditableConfigurationManager$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$471d1581.startConfiguration