geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Wow...2006 is almost gone
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:27:59 GMT
I'm cleaning up my hard drive and getting the end of the year stuff
done before I take some vacation time and it occurred to me how much
we've accomplished this year.  Not only in Geronimo proper but also
in related projects like OpenEJB.  I'm sure I'll miss some items so
when I do please chime in so they don't get forgotten.

Here are the highlights off the top of my head:

Released 5 Versions of Geronimo in a single year:

1.0 - January
1.1 - June
1.1.1 - September

For those that count poultry still in the shell:
1.2-beta - December
2.0-M1 - December

That is a really significant accomplishment and I'm really honored to
work with y'all to make this happen.  This is not an insignificant
amount of work by any stretch of the imagination.  We're even now in
the realm of delivering a Java EE 5.0 release within the SAME year as
the other projects and commercial vendors (and we'll beat some of
them too).  This is awesome news.

We've improved our documentation, we've seen the community grow with
interested outside folks like LifeRay, Terracotta and slews of new
users and some interested developers.  The committer list has grown
by several people and the PMC has some new members as well.  Overall
our community is stronger at the end of 2006 than it was at the
beginning which is an excellent thing.

OpenEJB and ActiveMQ joined Apache and are in Incubator and moving
towards their own destinies as TLPs at Apache as well.  XBean has
grown in its use in other projects and Geronimo has a much better
integration with Eclipse than we did previously (its nice to see the
GLogo in the server list).  DayTrader has included support for JPA
and was used as the performance basis in our first Performance Report.

We've also moved from Maven 1 to Maven 2 for our build environment, a
feat that still boggles my mind.  With the new plugins used to build
and take care of PITA issues like legal stuff every release gets
easier.  Testing is also improving with some neat tests for the
console to detect breakage earlier.

We're almost there of JDK independence with the inclusion of Yoko.
Another very significant move for Geronimo and OpenEJB.

We've innovated with the plugins and including dojo in a way that
makes application development easier.

Looking back over the last year we've come a long way.  Everyone of
you should be proud to be a part of this team in that together we are
creating software that has significance in the world and you all made
it happen.

For now I offer you a Merry Christmas, Happy Quanza, Happy Hanukkah,
Feliz Navidad, Happy Holidays, Winter Solstice or whatever your
favorite season greeting is.  One of our greatest strengths is our
diversity and ability to appreciate each others differences as the
glue that brings us together and makes us a strong whole.  We're
wrapping up the old and pressing on to the new.  Let the adventure
continue :)

Cheers

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org