geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Peter Petersson <pe...@pmb.mine.nu>
Subject Re: Liferay 4.2.0 and Geronimo 1.1.1 runing with mysql
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:10:44 GMT
Hi all

After trying lots of alternatives to get Liferay 4.2.0 running in
Geronimo 1.1.1 without getting a
"java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space" or other errors i finally
got it up an running.

The setup I ended up with was a slightly modify
liferay-portal-geronimo-tomcat-4.2.0.car
to match the mysql database pool settings by editing the
geronimo-web.xml file in the car:s /WEB-INF/ dir.

Obs! you do not need to do this modifications if you intend to use the
derby database pool car file that are
part of the liferay download files at
http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/downloads the thing you may need to
take a look at is the "Memory settings" section below.

Setup Instruction
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
The following is a short setup instruction that hopefully will help
other Geronimo users to get Liferay
up and running smoothly with a mysql database back end.

Memory settings:
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
This is the memory settings i found useful

JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Xms128M
-Xmx1024M -server -Dfile.encoding=UTF8 -Duser.timezone=GMT"

The important part here is the -XX:MaxPermSize setting as the default
64m did not work (on my machine).
Thanks Kevan for the hint, I though i had it right.

Database setup:
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
Download the liferay-portal-sql-4.2.0.zip extract and run the
create-mysql.sql script it will create a
database called lportal for you. For better performance you should also
extract and run the
indexes-mysql.sql file.
Setting up the pool is easily done using the geronimo database pool
wizard giving the pool the
name "LifrayPool" and database  type "MySQL" setting the (your
preferred) user and password combo.
This will create a J2EE connector with the following component name
"console.dbpool/LiferayPool/1.0/rar".

Modifying geronimo-web.xml to match the db pool:
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
Extract the /WEB-INF/geronimo-web.xml file from the
liferay-portal-geronimo-tomcat-4.2.0.car and
change the pool dependency settings to match your mysql pool from

<dependency>
   <groupId>liferay</groupId>
   <artifactId>liferay-pool</artifactId>
   <type>car</type>
</dependency>

<dependency>
   <groupId>console.dbpool</groupId>
   <artifactId>LiferayPool</artifactId>
   <type>rar</type>
</dependency>

(note: don't miss the type change)

* Replace the the files in the liferay-portal-geronimo-tomcat-4.2.0.car
file with your changes.
* Stop the geronimo welcome app. (as it is running at the root "/").
* deploy the modified liferay-portal-geronimo-tomcat-4.2.0.car file and
you should be up and running.

I hope these instructions comes in handy ;)
Cheers
   Peter