geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Peter Petersson <pe...@pmb.mine.nu>
Subject Re: Geronimo Heap Error
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:20:07 GMT
I have set up a couple of machines with the following java options

JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms64M -Xmx512M -server"
and a second one with the following java options
JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms128M -Xmx1024M -server"

booth have several web apps running in it and the memory usage stays around
30-40MB (starting with a total of ~64MB memory allocated) in the first
one and
70-90MB (starting with a total of ~125MB memory allocated) in the second
one.
The start up memory allocation is inline with the "initial Java heap
size" -Xms option.

Having the initial java heap size (Xms) set to 1024M is probably not
needed and as your
Gserver stays around 70-80MB you should probably manage with -Xms128M

/Peter

Bob Dushok skrev:
> David,
>
>     The app is a fairly simple web app consisting of several JSP
> apps.  I can't be certain there isn't an infinite loop, but all of the
> pages appear to complete execution.
>
>         It's odd, the server now starts with about 150mb of ram used.
> Shortly after launch the usage drops to about 80mb and stays around
> that amount.  Prior to changing the heap size the server only had
> allocated about 70mb of ram with 50 or 60mb used at launch.
>
>      Is this normal memory usage for Geronimo?
>
>     Thanks,
>     Bob
>

> On Dec 27, 2006, at 12:40 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> If increasing the heap size doesn't work I'd think that perhaps your
>> app goes into a loop and uses up all the memory.  You could probably
>> detect this by just looking :-), profiling, or adding some debug
>> logging statements at likely spots.
>>
>> hope this helps
>> david jencks
>>
>> On Dec 27, 2006, at 11:16 AM, Bob Dushok wrote:
>>
>>> Our Java web app has produced an java.lang.OutOfMemoryError error
>>> and placed the following line multiple times in the Geronimo log.
>>> Can anyone tell me how to correct this problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bob
>>>
>>> 3317: 10:52:05,503 ERROR [ThreadPool] Caught exception
>>> (java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space) executing