Hi,

Could you be bit more specific on your situation? I might be able to help you as the author of this sample application. :)

Thanks,
Lasantha Ranaweera
niteryder wrote:
Hi Guillaume,

Have you succeeded on this issue? I have similar problem, I can deploy war
individually and I can use the database pools that I created with Geronimo's
with this deployed war. But when i want to add this war to an ear and deploy
it. I also take similar messages for my datasources.

Thanks

Guillaume Bilodeau wrote:

I agree it's a good sign that the data source is actually usable from the
sample application.  However from what I understand this application does
not have a strict dependency to a specific data source like our
application - it instead discovers them programmatically.

The problem I'm describing is actually happening during the deployment
phase: I open the "Deploy new" screen, select the application EAR, I even
uncheck the "Start after install" option and finally click on Deploy.  A
few instants later, Geronimo gives the following message:

Deployment failed: Unable to resolve resource reference
'jdbc/AuchanPromoDS' (Could  not find resource 'AuchanPromoDS'. Perhaps it
has not yet been configured, or your application does not have a
dependency declared for that resource module?)

AFAICT, the application wasn't started yet, so I presume it's more a
configuration issue than an application issue.  The problem is, everything
seems to be configured according to the Geronimo usage page :)

The applicationContext.xml file is a configuration file for the Spring
framework.  In our application, this file isn't loaded right on startup so
I doubt it's interfering with anything.

I didn't mention yet but the application runs fine on Glassfish and
Tomcat, so I suppose I'm not configuring Geronimo or access to it
correctly.

I'll have a look at the simple-database-access-sample-application and let
you know if it's not too late - it's Friday after all :)

Thanks!
GB

Lasantha Ranaweera wrote:

Ok.. Then we can suspect problem is in your application.  :-)

I saw file called in "applicationConext.xml" one of your previous mails.
What exactly that means?

To link a DBPool with your web application you need to add reference in
your geronimo-web.xml file too. Then it should be linked with web.xml.
Have a look at

http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC11/simple-database-access-sample-application.html

Let us know your status too.

Thanks,
Lasantha Ranaweera

Guillaume Bilodeau wrote:

I've tested the pool before deploying it and it worked fine.  I have now
downloaded, built and deployed the dbtester sample application with
correct
results: my AuchanPromoDS pool is there, and I can list its tables and
their
content with no error whatsoever.

Everything looks fine, how come my application will not even deploy?
I'm at
a loss here :S

Thanks again,
GB

Lasantha Ranaweera wrote:

Since you have deployed DB pool using G console, have you tested it
before deploying?

Otherwise have a look at this sample application which help to find out
your DB connection pools is working or not.

http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC11/db-pool-testing-sample-application.html

Thanks,
Lasantha Ranaweera

Guillaume Bilodeau wrote:

No it's a remote Oracle database.

Lasantha Ranaweera wrote:

What is the DB you are using? Is it Derby Embedded?

Thanks,
Lasantha Ranaweera

Guillaume Bilodeau wrote:

Hi David,

Not sure if that's what you mean, but I deployed the datasource
myself
using
the "Geronimo database pool wizard", not through a separate
deployment
plan.
Is that it?

Thanks,
GB

David Jencks wrote:

Everything you show looks ok to me, which makes me wonder if the
console-generated rar plan really has the connection factory named
AuchanPromoDS.  Could you show the plan for deploying the
datasource?

thanks
david jencks

Ok let's try this again, without altering any names :)  I'm using
Geronimo+Tomcat 1.1.1 on Java 5.

Error:

Deployment failed:
Unable to resolve resource reference 'jdbc/AuchanPromoDS' (Could
not find
resource 'AuchanPromoDS'. Perhaps it has not yet been configured,
or your
application does not have a dependency declared for that resource
module?)

"Installed J2EE connectors" screen:
console.dbpool/AuchanPromoDS/1.0/rar  	 running  	  Stop
Restart
Uninstall

web.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

	version="2.4">
    <resource-ref>
        <res-ref-name>jdbc/AuchanPromoDS</res-ref-name>
        <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
    </resource-ref>
</web-app>

geronimo-web.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/web">
	<environment>
		<moduleId>
			<artifactId>promo-war</artifactId>
		</moduleId>
		<dependencies>
			<dependency>
				<groupId>console.dbpool</groupId>
				<artifactId>AuchanPromoDS</artifactId>
			</dependency>
		</dependencies>
	</environment>

	<context-root>/auchan-promo</context-root>

	<resource-ref>
		<ref-name>jdbc/AuchanPromoDS</ref-name>
		<resource-link>AuchanPromoDS</resource-link>
	</resource-ref>
</web-app>

applicationContext.xml:

	<jee:jndi-lookup id="mainDataSource"
		jndi-name="java:comp/env/jdbc/AuchanPromoDS"
		proxy-interface="javax.sql.DataSource"
		lookup-on-startup="false" />

application.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE application PUBLIC
	"-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD J2EE Application 1.3//EN"
	"http://java.sun.com/dtd/application_1_3.dtd">
<application>
  <display-name>promo-ear</display-name>
  <description>Promo Action Management System EAR</description>
  <module>
    <web>
      <web-uri>promo-web-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.war</web-uri>
      <context-root>/auchan-promo</context-root>
    </web>
  </module>
  <module>
    <ejb>promo-server-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar</ejb>
  </module>
</application>

It seems to me that I followed what the usage screen suggests.  Is
this a
problem with dealing with EARs?

Thanks,
GB