geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Session sharing between ears
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2006 18:11:49 GMT

On Nov 22, 2006, at 8:33 AM, sreepriya ramakrishnan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone tell me how to share sessions between ear
> files in Geronimo or if its even possible?

The specs require that separate web apps, whether within one ear or
in separate ears, have separate sessions with no overlap or sharing.
However, it's possible to share session lifetimes across apps.  IIRC
in Jetty this always happens and in tomcat you have to indicate that
each app is cross-context and indicate a "context root" across which
lifetimes will be shared.

If you want to actually share information between sessions for
different web apps I think there's a way to use some kind of
listeners for session changes to notify the other app that something
changed: I'm not an expert on this and was told of it by some portlet
guys so it might only be available with portlets.

thanks
david jencks