geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Poulin, Maxime" <maxime.pou...@cgi.com>
Subject Log4j problem with my ear - more generally a class loader question.
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:42:53 GMT
Greetings !

So I am trying the very painful task of building one single ear file
that would work properly under websphere, geronimo and some others.

The ear contains 1 web app called Chapel, a few EJBs and 2 j2ee client
apps.

As we deploy on multiple containers (some of them don't have log4j), we
keep the log4j and apache commons-logging in the ear file.

Now here is my problem. I created my own log4j appender which I wish to
use. The jar containing this appender is contained in the ear just like
log4j etc. Now when log4j is initialized, it is geronimo's log4j that is
used, and it does not find my custom appender (class not found). I guess
that geronimo's log4j is higher in the hierarchy, and does not look
down.

So either I make my jar visible to geronimo's log4j or I tell geronimo
to use my own log4j instead of his for my ear.

I need advice on this, advice, comments or experience. Could you tip me
?

Advices on geronimo's class loaders are also welcomed.

Thank you very much.

Maxime Poulin
CGI - CGIFX
514-228-8800 ext.2860