geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Weekly: Geronimo 1.2-r465304
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:22:02 GMT
On Oct 19, 2006, at 11:27 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> In 1.1.1, the majority of the startup delay is in the console module.
> Dain suggested it's because we precompile the JSPs, so each one
> becomes a servlet, so each one becomes a GBean, and starting GBeans is
> what's slow.  I found it hard to believe they're *that* slow, but I
> don't have any factual basis for disputing the claim...  :)  In any
> case, it would be great to investigate and optimize the startup time,
> or maybe introduce an option for a module that would kick it's startup
> into a background task or something.

I've timed it before.  Starting each gbean takes a very very long
time.  I'd also guess that as you add more gbeans it gets slower.  If
I had to bet, I'd blame AbstractName and AbstractNameQuery.  When we
used object names we indexed the names so queries were faster, and
now we do a liner compare for each life-cycle event fired.

-dain