geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Getting a DAO from Hibernate using Geronimo
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:19:29 GMT

On Oct 18, 2006, at 10:07 AM, Donahue, Bill wrote:

> I am currently accessing a Data Access Object (DAO) using a JDBC
> connection factory.
>
> from a database pool in Geronimo v.1.1.1. Every time I access a POJO
>
> I need to get a new JDBC connection to the database.

If you are really using a pool, especially a geronimo pool, you
aren't getting a new connection, you are getting an existing
connection out of the pool, and using a lightweight handle around the
actual connection.
> Is there a more efficient way
>
> than JDBC that I can connect to my Oracle instance once and get the
> DAO’s that I
>
> need within Geronimo?

Are you actually experiencing performance problems or are you
speculating based on a theory that datasource.getConnection() is
creating a new oracle connection?  Have you profiled and shown that
multi-thread contention in the geronimo pooling code is actually
slowing down your application?  If so I'd be very interested in
knowing where the bottleneck is.

thanks
david jencks