geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <>
Subject Re: geronimo 1.1.1 lite
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2006 20:11:57 GMT
You can use the command-line deploy tool to add new features to the
minimal installation ("Little G").  We've been a little delinquent in
setting up the metadata files that describe each incremental upgrade
that should be available, so your help would be appreciated in helping
us establish exactly what kind of upgrades you'd like to see.

 - We can offer the hot deploy service as an add-on, which will add
the deploy/ directory so you don't have to use the command-line deploy
 - We can let you add things like JMS or EJB individually
 - We can't get the console working in Little G 1.x due to limitations
in our Pluto integration, but we're hoping to have a modular console
in Geronimo 1.2 that will let you install only the console screens for
the features you have installed

Right now, if you want to change e.g. the web ports used by Tomcat in
Little G out of the box, you should edit var/config/config.xml while
the server is not running, and then the settings will take effect next
time the server starts.

On 10/13/06, Brian Millett <> wrote:
> Hello,
> I've downloaded and installed the geronimo-tomcat-minimal-1.1.1.  Ran
> the bin/ and I have a nice working geronimo, or so it seems.
> Looks like all of the documentations on how to get started are about the
> full version.  So I have a few questions:
> 1) There is no deploy directory, so to deploy do I need to run the
> command line with a war file?
> 2) What if I already have a nice working webapps dir from tomcat 5.5.17.
> Can I just drop that in someplace and have it served up?
> 3) Console??  We don't need no stinking console!!  But it would be
> really nice to have a console to add what ever piece is missing.  I
> thought that that was the purpose of the "little-g" was to start light,
> then add as you go.
> 4) Should I be able to configure tomcat?  All I see is
> var/catalina/conf/web.xml, no server.xml??  I guess that will be the
> geronimo xml files, but all I see is:
> [bpm]$ find . | egrep \.xml$
> ./var/catalina/conf/web.xml
> ./var/catalina/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml
> ./var/config/config.xml
> and the var/config/config.xml states
> <!-- ======================================================== -->
> <!-- Warning - This XML file is re-generated by Geronimo when -->
> <!-- changes are made to Geronimo's configuration, therefore  -->
> <!-- any comments added to this file will be lost.            -->
> <!-- Do not edit this file while Geronimo is running.         -->
> but there is no way to configure geronimo while it is running.
> Sorry, but as you can see I am very confused.  Any help would be
> appriciated.
> Thanks.
> --
> Brian Millett - [ Sheridan and Maynard, "A Distant Star"]
> "The adventure is out there, Jack. Man has to go meet it." 'Well,
> sometimes it comes to you. Wait for it Johnny.'

View raw message