geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Lasantha Ranaweera <lasan...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: JAX-RPC Web Service - help needed
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 06:05:31 GMT
Hi Ray,

Please read my in line comments.

Cheers,
Lasantha Ranaweera

Clough, Ray C PWR wrote:
> Lasantha,
>
> I have done some more development with your sample webservice app.  I've
> redone the build file to create the mapping file on the fly, and done
> some minor repackaging.  I have also added comments to the web.xml,
> geronimo-web.xml, webservices.xml, wscompile-config.xml files to show
> how they relate to eachother.  The app deploys fine in G1.1.1.  I used
> the jaxrpc files from jwsdp 2.0 to give all the dependencies for
> building the service.  I have not yet modified the client, but I'm
> hoping to do that this evening.

This is great input Ray. I am really interested to see your modifications.
> If you're interested I'd like to send you the modified app.  Assuming
> you're interested, how and in what form should I send it to you (zip of
> the project, email, ...? )

Please share those modifications via email until the confluence is up
and running. Would you like to further develop these sample applications
with us?
> I still haven't figured out the flaw in my own tutorial app which
> prevents it from working with G1.1.1, and am baffled that it deploys in
> other servers.  I'll work on that later, I guess.  Thanks for your
> sample app.  Without that success I was about to conclude that G1.1.1
> wouldn't work for me.

Happy to help. :-)
> The jaxrpc web services are really a poor spec (extremely fragile), and
> it would be really nice to have the jax-ws implementation.  Everyone I
> know keeps saying "I love .NET web services, but I hate JAXRPC".  It is
> easy to see why.  Even Sun's jwsdp does not deploy jaxrpc-compliant
> services.  I've always been disappointed that Axis didn't produce
> jaxrpc-compliant services.  More problematic, from my personal
> standpoint, is the fact that the only tool I know which produces both
> wsdl and the mapping file is wscompile, and wscompile doesn't do
> DOCLITERAL_WRAPPED wsdls.  (Until jwsdp2.0 the wscompile which came with
> jwsdp wouldn't even make the mapping file, and you had to use the
> wscompile which came with the Sun Server).  If axis had supplemented
> their 'java2wsdl' tool with a mapping file generator, we'd be well ahead
> of the game.  Do you, or does anyone, know an open source or freeware
> tool which will produce both files?

Yes I agree with your comments regarding JAX-RPC based web services. I
am also wondering why still Apache Axis doesn't support the generation
jax-rpc related files. I think we have to add issue in to the Axis user
list.

According to the JSR-109 JEE 5 will support web service implementation
both JAX-RPC and JAX-WS. I think JAX-WS will be more user friendly API
than JAX-RPC. Hope Geronimo comes in to that stage soon a real open
source application server. ;-)