geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Clough, Ray C PWR" <Ray.Clo...@pwr.utc.com>
Subject RE: JAX-RPC Web Service - help needed
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:28:20 GMT
I sent you the app a minute ago, but got a "recipient mailbox full"
failure.

- Ray Clough
ray@allthisisthat.com

________________________________

From: Lasantha Ranaweera [mailto:lasantha@opensource.lk]
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 11:06 PM
To: user@geronimo.apache.org
Cc: Hernan Cunico; Sanjiva Weerawarana
Subject: Re: JAX-RPC Web Service - help needed

Hi Ray,

Please read my in line comments.

Cheers,
Lasantha Ranaweera

Clough, Ray C PWR wrote:

	Lasantha,

	I have done some more development with your sample webservice
app.  I've
	redone the build file to create the mapping file on the fly, and
done
	some minor repackaging.  I have also added comments to the
web.xml,
	geronimo-web.xml, webservices.xml, wscompile-config.xml files to
show
	how they relate to eachother.  The app deploys fine in G1.1.1.
I used
	the jaxrpc files from jwsdp 2.0 to give all the dependencies for
	building the service.  I have not yet modified the client, but
I'm
	hoping to do that this evening.

This is great input Ray. I am really interested to see your
modifications.

	If you're interested I'd like to send you the modified app.
Assuming
	you're interested, how and in what form should I send it to you
(zip of
	the project, email, ...? )

Please share those modifications via email until the confluence is up
and running. Would you like to further develop these sample applications
with us?

	I still haven't figured out the flaw in my own tutorial app
which
	prevents it from working with G1.1.1, and am baffled that it
deploys in
	other servers.  I'll work on that later, I guess.  Thanks for
your
	sample app.  Without that success I was about to conclude that
G1.1.1
	wouldn't work for me.

Happy to help. :-)

	The jaxrpc web services are really a poor spec (extremely
fragile), and
	it would be really nice to have the jax-ws implementation.
Everyone I
	know keeps saying "I love .NET web services, but I hate JAXRPC".
It is
	easy to see why.  Even Sun's jwsdp does not deploy
jaxrpc-compliant
	services.  I've always been disappointed that Axis didn't
produce
	jaxrpc-compliant services.  More problematic, from my personal
	standpoint, is the fact that the only tool I know which produces
both
	wsdl and the mapping file is wscompile, and wscompile doesn't do
	DOCLITERAL_WRAPPED wsdls.  (Until jwsdp2.0 the wscompile which
came with
	jwsdp wouldn't even make the mapping file, and you had to use
the
	wscompile which came with the Sun Server).  If axis had
supplemented
	their 'java2wsdl' tool with a mapping file generator, we'd be
well ahead
	of the game.  Do you, or does anyone, know an open source or
freeware
	tool which will produce both files?

Yes I agree with your comments regarding JAX-RPC based web services. I
am also wondering why still Apache Axis doesn't support the generation
jax-rpc related files. I think we have to add issue in to the Axis user
list.

According to the JSR-109 JEE 5 will support web service implementation
both JAX-RPC and JAX-WS. I think JAX-WS will be more user friendly API
than JAX-RPC. Hope Geronimo comes in to that stage soon a real open
source application server. ;-)

	Thanks,
	Ray Clough
	ray@allthisisthat.com