geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Clough, Ray C PWR" <Ray.Clo...@pwr.utc.com>
Subject RE: JAX-RPC Web Service - help needed
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:28:45 GMT
Lasantha,

I have done some more development with your sample webservice app.  I've
redone the build file to create the mapping file on the fly, and done
some minor repackaging.  I have also added comments to the web.xml,
geronimo-web.xml, webservices.xml, wscompile-config.xml files to show
how they relate to eachother.  The app deploys fine in G1.1.1.  I used
the jaxrpc files from jwsdp 2.0 to give all the dependencies for
building the service.  I have not yet modified the client, but I'm
hoping to do that this evening.

If you're interested I'd like to send you the modified app.  Assuming
you're interested, how and in what form should I send it to you (zip of
the project, email, ...? )

I still haven't figured out the flaw in my own tutorial app which
prevents it from working with G1.1.1, and am baffled that it deploys in
other servers.  I'll work on that later, I guess.  Thanks for your
sample app.  Without that success I was about to conclude that G1.1.1
wouldn't work for me.

The jaxrpc web services are really a poor spec (extremely fragile), and
it would be really nice to have the jax-ws implementation.  Everyone I
know keeps saying "I love .NET web services, but I hate JAXRPC".  It is
easy to see why.  Even Sun's jwsdp does not deploy jaxrpc-compliant
services.  I've always been disappointed that Axis didn't produce
jaxrpc-compliant services.  More problematic, from my personal
standpoint, is the fact that the only tool I know which produces both
wsdl and the mapping file is wscompile, and wscompile doesn't do
DOCLITERAL_WRAPPED wsdls.  (Until jwsdp2.0 the wscompile which came with
jwsdp wouldn't even make the mapping file, and you had to use the
wscompile which came with the Sun Server).  If axis had supplemented
their 'java2wsdl' tool with a mapping file generator, we'd be well ahead
of the game.  Do you, or does anyone, know an open source or freeware
tool which will produce both files?

Thanks,
Ray Clough
ray@allthisisthat.com