I am using geronimo 1.1.1-rc3.  I am using the release candidate instead of 1.1 since 1.1.1 fixes GERONIMO-2125.

Is there anyway I can specify, for everything under the application classloader (including child classloaders of the application classloader, such as WAR classloaders), that the classes loaded by application class loader are visible but not the ones loaded above the application classloader?

I want to hide some classes loaded by the server inside my application.  If I use hidden-classes I am able to hide the classes loaded by current classloader's parents.  The problem I face is if I use hidden-classes at WAR level it hides the same classes loaded by EAR/application classloader as well.  If I use hidden-classes only at application level and not at WAR level, it does not hide the classes loaded by the server from the WAR class loader.  It looks like child classloaders do not know of hidden-classes specified at parent classloader level.  Is there any reason it is so?

I started out trying to force my application to use its own log4j configuration accessed through commons logging.  So I had to hide org.apache.commons.logging, org.apache.log4j, org.apache.geronimo.kernel.log loaded by the server.  An utility jar in the application manages references to Log objects.  The utility is used by EJBs and other utilities and WAR.

I am able to get the desired behaviour by hiding the classes at both app level and at WAR level with inverse-classloading at WAR level.  If I do not hide at WAR level, WAR class loader sees the classes loaded by the server.  If I hide at WAR level without inverse-classloading, WAR class loader does not see log4j classes loaded by the app class loader.  But (I think so but my interpretation of the diagnostic messages from commons logging may be wrong), due to the way Log references are stored in a hierarchy of class loaders, there seems to be assignments between log4j classes loaded by app and WAR classloaders which results in errors.

Now the problem is, since I have enabled inverse-classloading at WAR level, classes loaded by WAR classloader do not see any config/properties files available under the EAR root.  I also think the singleton LogManager the application uses is no longer singleton really as it is loaded separately by the WAR and EAR classloaders.

As I see it, if I can hide the required classes at app classloader level, that propagates to all child classloaders without hiding the classes loaded the app classloader itself, that will help in resolving the problem.  I searched but could not find whether there is anyway to do that.

Thanks and regards,
Shankar.