The "server" plugin and the "adapter (wtp plugin)" are in 2 different features and the adapter feature does not require the server plugin.  The Geronimo server runtime wizard provides a mechanism to download the full server from within the wizard if you do not already have a local copy installed.

As far as the "Could not download and install update feature" in your logs, its likely due to a bad mirror and choosing a different mirror location should resolve the problem".