geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Dale de los Reyes" <drey...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo 1.1 Deployment Problem
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:26:20 GMT
Hi Fran,

Here's my understanding of what you're encountering:

You mention two types of applications:
default/TestApp/1.0/war
test.applications/TestApp/1.1/war

I'm assuming that both these applications are very similar (or maybe even
the same thing).

Previously, the geronimo-web.xml descriptor was unspecified. This resulted
in the application being deployed in the repository as: default/Test/<system
generated id>/war

A new folder with a new <system generated id> is created on subsequent
deployments resulting in the application becoming unusable.

The suggested work around of specifying the full <moduleId> declaration
including the <version> and <type> tags should prevent G1.1 from creating
those system generated ids. Meaning, the application should now be able to
redeploy many times without becoming unstable regardless if it's eclipse or
not.

The follow-up message indicated test.applications/TestApp/1.1/war was unable
to deploy because it already exists. Here's where it gets fuzzy because of
the different names. For now, let's assume this should be
default/TestApp/1.1/war.

If the geronimo-web.xml descriptor is newly created with the fully specified
<moduleId> and deployed, you will probably see the "unable to deploy"
message because the previous application, default/TestApp/<system generated
id>/war, may still deployed on Geronimo.

If that is the case, Geronimo should be a blank slate before the application
is deployed with the fully specified <moduleId>. Then subsequent deployments
and redeployments should all be fine even in eclipse. This was the intent of
the suggested work-around. If that can get you going again and past the
hurdle you're seeing, their will be much rejoicing. ;)

However, if the two module names are intended to be different. The comment
regarding Geronimo console vs Hot deploy is suggested as a possible account
of your observation (app deploys fine the first time, but unable to deploy
the second time). If you favor one type of deployment method and stick with
it (rather than switching them interchangably), you will be able to
attribute any "unable to deploy" errors to some other culprit.

As for redeploying with the <system generated id>, is it a bug? (*shrug*)
I'll leave that to wiser heads than mine. =)

Regards,
Dale