geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Cameron, David A" <david.a.came...@lmco.com>
Subject RE: GeronimoTransactionManager IllegalStateException: Status is STATUS_NO_TRANSACTION
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:26:24 GMT
Oh yeah...I believe this just causes us to catch a different exception
than expected and log it as harmless.

Though this does make sorting out the harmful exceptions from the
harmless ones a little more complicated.

Dave

________________________________

From: David Jencks [mailto:david_jencks@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 6:05 PM
To: user@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: GeronimoTransactionManager IllegalStateException: Status is
STATUS_NO_TRANSACTION

On Aug 18, 2006, at 5:36 PM, Cameron, David A wrote:

	Hi,

	I'm using GeronimoTransactionManager with Jencks 1.2, ActiveMQ
4.0 and a third-party XA capable database.

	What I'm seeing is during the prepare phase of the commit the
third-party database XAResource is throwing an XAException which causes
the TransactionManager to roll back the transaction.

	It appears that the TransactionManager seems to be getting
confused during the course of the rollback.

	I can see that TransactionImpl.commit detected the failure, set
it's status to STATUS_MARKED_ROLLBACK, rolled back the remaining
resource then threw a RollbackException.

	Before this the jvm goes to unwind the stack it calls the
finally of TransactionImpl.commit which sets the status to
STATUS_NO_TRANSACTION.

	InheritableTransactionContext.complete catches this exception as
Throwable then calls rollbackAndThrow.

	rolllbackAndThrow seems to get into trouble by calling rollback
on the transaction which is also STATUS_NO_TRANSACTION.

	This is where it throws an IllegalStateException becausee
rollback was called on something that no longer had a transaction in
process.

	Am I missing something in the config of the TransactionManager?

	As I read this blow-by-blow I come to realize that
rollbackAndThrow is attempting to roll back a transaction that is
already cleaned up.  Should I just add a check if that transaction has
been cleaned up before it calls rollback on it?  It just looks like the
transaction has been rolled back and has been asked to roll back again.

	Any suggestions on workarounds or a compatible version where
this is fixed would be appreciated.

I've seen this or a similar problem too IIRC.  Does it cause an actual
error in your code or just an annoying error message to be logged?

I think that the latest code does away with the
TransactionContextManager entirely which might remove this problem.
However I don't think this version of jencks has been released:
certainly the geronimo code it uses hasn't been released officially.

I think we could still patch the geronimo code similar to what's used in
jencks 1.2 to avoid this problem in the g 1.1.2 release.

I suspect the final call to rollback can be removed entirely.  What do
you think?

thanks
david jencks

	Thanks!