geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Cameron, David A" <david.a.came...@lmco.com>
Subject GeronimoTransactionManager IllegalStateException: Status is STATUS_NO_TRANSACTION
Date Sat, 19 Aug 2006 00:36:23 GMT
Hi,

I'm using GeronimoTransactionManager with Jencks 1.2, ActiveMQ 4.0 and a
third-party XA capable database.

What I'm seeing is during the prepare phase of the commit the
third-party database XAResource is throwing an XAException which causes
the TransactionManager to roll back the transaction.

It appears that the TransactionManager seems to be getting confused
during the course of the rollback.

I can see that TransactionImpl.commit detected the failure, set it's
status to STATUS_MARKED_ROLLBACK, rolled back the remaining resource
then threw a RollbackException.

Before this the jvm goes to unwind the stack it calls the finally of
TransactionImpl.commit which sets the status to STATUS_NO_TRANSACTION.

InheritableTransactionContext.complete catches this exception as
Throwable then calls rollbackAndThrow.

rolllbackAndThrow seems to get into trouble by calling rollback on the
transaction which is also STATUS_NO_TRANSACTION.

This is where it throws an IllegalStateException becausee rollback was
called on something that no longer had a transaction in process.

Am I missing something in the config of the TransactionManager?

As I read this blow-by-blow I come to realize that rollbackAndThrow is
attempting to roll back a transaction that is already cleaned up.
Should I just add a check if that transaction has been cleaned up before
it calls rollback on it?  It just looks like the transaction has been
rolled back and has been asked to roll back again.

Any suggestions on workarounds or a compatible version where this is
fixed would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave