geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Using a Repository with Geronimo Plugins
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:19:36 GMT
OK, can you enter a new Jira describing the problems with the database
pool screen?  I thought it would only try to connect if you told it to
download a driver, but perhaps it's being too aggressive in trying to
retrieve the driver config file.

As a workaround, you can configure the pool on your development
machine, use the "Show Plan" option instead of deploying it directly,
and then save the plan and deploy it on your server using the
instructions on the "show plan" page.

Thanks,
     Aaron

On 8/1/06, Dennis Cartier <dennis.cartier@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> I was hoping that this would fix the database pool creation/editing
> that does not work on my Linux servers. Sadly it had no effect. The
> database pool part of the console remains non-functional for me even
> using the proxy settings. I was hoping it was due to the firewalled
> nature of the LAN segment these machines exist on, and that a proxy
> might rectify it, but this was not the case.
>
> Why the database pool part of the console does not work, remains
> unresolved. I can the JIRA site but did not see anything that seemed
> related (in 1.1).
>
> The exact symptoms of what I am seeing is that after entering a name
> and selecting the DB type, I click next and the browser just spins.
> Nothing is ever returned and no error is thrown in Geronimo's log.
> Oddly this works fine on my development machines under windows? The
> same thing occurs if I click to Edit an existing pool.
>
> The JDK I am using on the Linux boxes is 1.5.0_06, but I plan on
> updating to test newer versions.
>
> Dennis
>
> On 7/31/06, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
> > On 7/31/06, Dennis Cartier <dennis.cartier@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Thank you so much for the response Aaron. Right after I sent the
> > > message I stumbled on the config option you mentioned, which is
> > > usually how it goes :)
> > >
> > > The file:// URL should prove to be handy as well, and the JVM proxy
> > > option has been an issue for me for quite awhile as it affects the
> > > downloading of common libs as well.
> > >
> > > I have tested the setting of the proxy through the JVM and found that
> > > the following works when included in the JAVA_OPTS environment
> > > variable:
> > >
> > > -DproxySet=true -DproxyHost=proxy.local -DproxyPort=8080
> >
> > Great!
> >
> > > I will explore the cmdline deployer in this regard as well. I am
> > > curious if Geronimo will download the dependant common libs, as well
> > > as the plugins, considering the libs would not appear in the
> > > geronimo-plugins.xml, as they are not plugins per se.
> >
> > When you install a plugin via the command line or via the console, it
> > will try to download any dependencies (JARs or other Geronimo plugins)
> > from the repositories listed in the plugin metadata.  So it's always
> > the server VM that does the download, and starting it with those proxy
> > options should let it get online.  But if you just list your local
> > repository, it will try to "download" the dependencies from there.
> > It's only plugins that need to be listed in geronimo-plugins.xml, it
> > should be able to find regular JARs if their names are
> > fully-specified.
> >
> > The one problem with a local repository is that it doesn't have the
> > maven-metadata.xml files that Maven creates in regular web-based
> > repositories.  The plugin installer relies on those, particularly when
> > you use a dependency with no version number (meaning, "take the
> > latest").  This is the only problem I think you might have using your

HTTP