geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Re: Geronimo instances on the same server
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:16:26 GMT
Hello John,

Here is a quick summary of how this could work.

Out-of-the-box, Geronimo uses var/config/config.xml to identify the
modules to be loaded upon start-up and also to override the out-of-
the-box configuration of these modules (for instance, virtual hosting
can be overridden in this configuration file).

As each developer needs to have full control of the modules that they
want to start along with their configurations, each developer needs
to have a dedicated config.xml. Also, each developer needs to have
their own copy of the var directory. This copy can be rooted wherever
you want. You can use one of the two following system properties to
specify where this copy is located:

1. org.apache.geronimo.server.name: this property specifies the
relative path of the cloned var folder.
2. org.apache.geronimo.home.dir: this property specifies the full
path of the cloned var folder.

Whatever the method used, each developer needs to put their own
config.xml file in var/config. At least, each developer should be
allocated with dedicated HTTP, JMS et cetera ports and their
config.xml should mirror this allocation. Note that you cannot simply
allocate a virtual host to each developer.

Developers sharing the same server share the same Geronimo
repository, i.e. the repository folder. This implies that a developer
can see the modules deployed by other developers and can also
override them. So, I think each developer should be allocated with a
dedicated moduleId to prevent the override problem.

I may be wrong but I believe it is possible to add a dedicated
repository for each developer. Perhaps that someone else can comment
further.

Thanks,
Gianny