We are using Rational Application Developer (RAD) from IBM (basically WSAD v 6)

The application is deployed as an EAR.

Within the application is a WAR file (front end), that has a model (backend) project on it's build path. The model gets automatically jarred up by RAD at EAR creation time and this JAR file is on the manifest class path of the WAR project.

Both backend and front end use Spring.

In the front end this just involves having Spring.jar on the WAR's manifest classpath MANIFEST.MF

Spring is used on the front end for ACEGI security, and dependency injection into Struts actions, as well as for linking into back end Spring based services in the model project.

In order for Spring to load up its context files in the front end a listener is defined in the web.xml (see snippet below). It seems that Geronimo is failing to find the org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener listener class as it starts up. It should find this correctly as Spring.jar is defined in MANIFEST.MF.

This approach works in Geronimo 1.0 and Websphere 5.1 and  6, and is a standard approach we use when a WAR file has a dependency on a JAR file which we ship within the root of the EAR file.

        <context-param>
                <param-value>/WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml</param-value>
        </context-param>

        <!--  load a shared service layer parent application context -->
        <context-param>
                <param-name>locatorFactorySelector</param-name>
                <param-value>
                        net/targetgroup/tprweb/spring/beanRefContext.xml
                </param-value>
        </context-param>
        <context-param>
                <param-name>parentContextKey</param-name>
                <param-value>servicelayer-context</param-value>
        </context-param>
        <listener>
                <listener-class>
                        org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener
                </listener-class>
        </listener>

Target

www.targetgroup.net

DISCLAIMER.

If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy,

distribute or take any action or reliance upon it.

The content of this message may also contain personal

views of an employee of this company and does

not necessarily represent the view of the company.

This message has been scanned by Norton Anti-Virus.

It has also been scanned by MAILsweeper to enforce our e-mail

policy. If you have any concerns or comments about the content

of this message, please e-mail support@targetgroup.net.

http://www.messagelabs.com