geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Using a Repository with Geronimo Plugins
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:35:26 GMT
On 7/31/06, Dennis Cartier <dennis.cartier@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you so much for the response Aaron. Right after I sent the
> message I stumbled on the config option you mentioned, which is
> usually how it goes :)
>
> The file:// URL should prove to be handy as well, and the JVM proxy
> option has been an issue for me for quite awhile as it affects the
> downloading of common libs as well.
>
> I have tested the setting of the proxy through the JVM and found that
> the following works when included in the JAVA_OPTS environment
> variable:
>
> -DproxySet=true -DproxyHost=proxy.local -DproxyPort=8080

Great!

> I will explore the cmdline deployer in this regard as well. I am
> curious if Geronimo will download the dependant common libs, as well
> as the plugins, considering the libs would not appear in the
> geronimo-plugins.xml, as they are not plugins per se.

When you install a plugin via the command line or via the console, it
will try to download any dependencies (JARs or other Geronimo plugins)
from the repositories listed in the plugin metadata.  So it's always
the server VM that does the download, and starting it with those proxy
options should let it get online.  But if you just list your local
repository, it will try to "download" the dependencies from there.
It's only plugins that need to be listed in geronimo-plugins.xml, it
should be able to find regular JARs if their names are
fully-specified.

The one problem with a local repository is that it doesn't have the
maven-metadata.xml files that Maven creates in regular web-based
repositories.  The plugin installer relies on those, particularly when
you use a dependency with no version number (meaning, "take the
latest").  This is the only problem I think you might have using your
local repository.

Thanks,
    Aaron