geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Using a Repository with Geronimo Plugins
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:40:27 GMT
Is the situation that you have a plugin and are just trying to install
it?  If so...

The normal "Deploy New" screen won't deploy plugins properly.  You can
use the Plugin Create/Install screen or the command-line deploy tool.
More on these in a minute.

If your machine is behind a proxy, can you use the JVM startup
argument to provide the proxy server?  I'm not sure what the name of
the setting is, but I've seen it before -- something like
-Dhttp.proxy.server=hostname -Dhttp.proxy.port=8080.  Can you try to
identify and use this setting and report back whether it works for
you?

If you want to add a new repository to the plugin repository list, you
currently need to add it in config.xml -- there is a Jira to correct
this (adding the ability to add repositories via the console).  In the
mean time, make sure the server is down, and look for <attribute
name="userRepositories">[]</attribute> in the config.xml and add a
comma-separated list of URLs between the brackets.  FYI, you should be
able to use a file:/ URL to access your local repository (you don't
need to run it through a web server).

However, the repository must have a geronimo-plugins.xml file in the
root that is basically the consolidation of the geronimo-plugin.xml
files for all the plugins in the repository (it uses a different root
tag, but includes all the plugin metadata as-is).  This is used so the
client doesn't need to crawl the whole repository in order to identify
available plugins.  The format of this is described in the plugin
schema at http://geronimo.apache.org/schemas-1.1/plugins-1.1.xsd and
for an example, you can see
http://geronimoplugins.com/repository/geronimo-1.1/geronimo-plugins.xml

Finally, if you have a plugin file, you can install it at the command
line using the "install-plugin" command for the deploy tool.  That
command will download dependencies from whatever repositories are
listed in your geronimo-plugin.xml file for the plugin you're
installing, and you don't typically need the top-level metadata file
since you're not browsing.  So you could save a lot of steps by just
putting the file:/ URL in your plugin metadata and installing the
plugin with the command-line tool.

Thanks,
     Aaron