geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Marston" <mars...@marstonstudio.com>
Subject flex on geronimo
Date Sun, 16 Jul 2006 15:54:18 GMT
Hello,

I am trying to use Adobe Flex 2 with Geronimo and I have hit a stumbling block. I used Eclipse
to create a project and imported in all of the Flex samples into it. I have almost everything
working, except for the messaging component, which requires a transaction manager. My test
has been the flex sample with the Taxi Cab dispatcher.

I succesfully got the messaging component working in a straight tomcat install following the
instructions. This involves installing jotm as the transaction manager and then setting the
transaction element in the tomcat context.xml file.
http://www.adobe.com/support/documentation/en/flex/2/install.html#tomcat

Using geronimo i have tried running the sample without any modifications. I also tried putting
the jotm jars in my project and then trying to set the transaction element in a geronimo-tomcat.xml
file. I used these two pages as a reference
http://static.raibledesigns.com/downloads/howto-tomcat-jotm.html

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-scm/200507.mbox/%3C20050704023635.23998.75812@ajax.apache.org%3E

and no luck so far. I am using geronimo 1.0 and plan on switching to 1.1 soon. I have not
built a war file, instead i am working out of eclipse and launching the server from there.

Here are my questions.

1) Where is the right place in my project to set a Transaction element within a context? Is
it the geronimo-tomcat.xml file in the WEB_INF folder? How can I tell if my application has
picked up the libraries and context values other than checking to see if the application works?

2) Could i use the builtin geronimo transaction manager instead of jotm? I understand that
there is one, but I don't know how to set the context's transaction element property so that
the sample application recognizes it. Is the built in transaction manager conflicting with
jotm?

As you might guess, i am a flash/flex developer new to j2ee and geronimo. If I can get this
working completely i will be sure to promote how to use geronimo as a platform for flex development.
thanks for any help you can provide.

Jonathan Marston
Marston Development Studio LLC