geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Santosh Koti" <Santosh_K...@infosys.com>
Subject RE: Self-contained EAR
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 09:32:52 GMT

Mario,

Why u stick to Jetty , why not Tomcat...?  :)
Any technical explanation, just ur passion for Jetty...?

For lesser complex applications, G is fine, but for very large & complex
systems, better choose G to sub-ordinate some tasks of it.

But still G is special ..!

Thanks,
Santosh.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mario Ruebsam [mailto:mario.ruebsam@googlemail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 2:35 PM
To: user@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: Self-contained EAR

What I learned in the last 6 years with EJB's and webapps is that
performance is mainly founded in the design of the application.
So it can differ from one app to another. Some app servers prefer
the used design some not.
I like to have a server which is customizable and G is customizable,
not only in the way the server runs but also in the way I can
distribute it(look at "Little G" and plugins). G is easily
configurable even by the customer and I can run the same system
on the central server and also on a notebook (Little-G) with db and
app. The latter is a mandatory requirement by our customer.
I don't like that huge systems that can do everything and I need
only 30% of it for a particular project. Also G comes with Jetty :-)
Thats in short why I stick with G.

Thanks,
Mario

gb.forums@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'll check out 1.0 then, but I've heard that performance is not really
up to par...  Is this true?  And would you mind telling me why you
sticked with Geronimo?

> Thanks a lot Mario,
> GB

OC4J because of its class loading problems...  So should I switch to
JBoss or GlassFish? :)

>> Thanks,
>> GB

Geronimo, although it is my first time dealing with that kind of issue
(deploying a WAR to Tomcat is much simpler).

(http://www.chariotsolutions.com/geronimo/ejb.html) :

>>> "If the EJB JAR file is included in an application EAR, then
Geronimo will respect Class-Path entries in the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
file of the EJB JAR. Any JARs referenced there should also be packaged
within the EAR, and paths to JAR files will be resolved relative to the
position of the EJB JAR file in the EAR. If the EJB JAR file is not
included in an EAR, then manifest class path entries will be ignored. In
either case, external libraries can also be placed in the Geronimo
server repository and referenced with dependency elements in the
Geronimo deployment plan (see Section 12.3.1, Customizing the Class
Path)."

>>> My EAR contains an EJB JAR which includes a META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
file, which does include the libraries that should be in the classpath.
However, those libraries are not found at runtime.  Here is my EAR's
structure:

>>> promo-ear.ear
>>> + commons-*.jar
>>> + spring-*.jar
>>> + other-libraries.jar
>>> + promo-server.jar
>>>   + all-classes.class (including some EJB implementations - not
interfaces)
>>>   + META-INF
>>>     + ejb-jar.xml
>>>     + MANIFEST.MF (containing a Class-path entry with references to
libraries in the EAR, such as spring-*.jar without any path)
>>> + promo-api.jar
>>>   + all-ejb-interfaces.class (not implementations)
>>>   + META-INF
>>>     + MANIFEST.MF (with no Class-path entry)
>>> + promo-web.war
>>>   + all web content (JSP, CSS, JS, etc.)
>>>   + WEB-INF
>>>     + web.xml
>>> + META-INF
>>>   + application.xml
>>>   + MANIFEST.MF
>>>
>>> Somehow the Spring library is not visible since I get the following
message:

>>> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.springframework.context.support.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext in
classloader
default/promo-ear-2.0.0-snapshot_promo-web-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.war/1152257080
360/car

>>> Surely there must be a way to have a self-contained EAR, which can
reference its own libraries.  How can this be done?

>>> Thanks a lot,
>>> GB

e-mail system.