geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Hernan Cunico <hcun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: geronimo and db2
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:48:56 GMT
Hi John,
see comments in line

john.enevoldson@pulsen.se wrote:

> Hi Hernan,
>
> I wonder if you could help us a litte with a geronimo / db2 config
> issue we are having:
>
> We have geronimo and db2 installed on a linux server and configuring
> geronimo to use db2 as per
> your paper "Geronimo v1.1 - configure db2 datasource" worked fine.
>
> We are now trying to go a step further and have installed eclipse with
> the geronimo plugin
> on a windows client. We would now like to add db2 support here aswell.
> However, there
> is no db2 server running on the client - only the db2 runtime
> environment. We see that only
> 2 of the 3 db2 jdbc filen mentioned in the configuration are present -
> db2jcc_license_cisuz.jar
> is not present. Our idea was to point to the db2 server on the linux
> server rather than using localhost
> but now we see the cisuz jar file is not present on the client we are
> wondering if this will work or not.
> Have you any ideas ?

You should be OK to connect to the Linux DB2 having only the db2jcc.jar
and db2jcc_license_cu.jar files. The missing db2jcc_license_cisuz.jar is
used for connecting to DB2 ESE and Connect on z/OS and iSeries.

For connecting to a remote DB2 two approaches come to my mind. One is
configuring the client (on windows) and catalog the remote DB so when
you configure the data source in Geronimo (G running on windows) you
point to a local DB (but in reality it is a remote cataloged DB). This
is probably the easiest one and you can check connectivity to the remote
db before creating the data source.

The other alternative would be to point directly the data source to the
remote machine. I have not tried this yet on Geronimo v1.1 but I guess
you will have to specify additional values for the remote server on the
deployment plan.

> Another question - why do the db2 jar files need to be renamed to
> include version ? This will
> create extra work whenever the db2 environment is upgraded (quite
> often since fixpacks come
> out every 3 months...):

The JAR files need to be renamed because Geronimo is expecting to see
the drivers with a specific name format. If you copy the files without
renaming it will cause an exception and Geronimo will not find them. The
directory structure where you copy the files is equally important.

As for the fixes, not always the fixes affect the drivers. If that is
the case you could create a script to copy and rename the drivers with
the new versions right after you installed a fix. The fixpack
description should mention whether the drivers are affected or not.

HTH

Cheers!
Hernan