geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Mario Ruebsam <mario.rueb...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Self-contained EAR
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 09:04:51 GMT
What I learned in the last 6 years with EJB's and webapps is that
performance is mainly founded in the design of the application.
So it can differ from one app to another. Some app servers prefer
the used design some not.
I like to have a server which is customizable and G is customizable,
not only in the way the server runs but also in the way I can
distribute it(look at "Little G" and plugins). G is easily
configurable even by the customer and I can run the same system
on the central server and also on a notebook (Little-G) with db and
app. The latter is a mandatory requirement by our customer.
I don't like that huge systems that can do everything and I need
only 30% of it for a particular project. Also G comes with Jetty :-)
Thats in short why I stick with G.

Thanks,
Mario

gb.forums@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'll check out 1.0 then, but I've heard that performance is not really up to par...
Is this true?  And would you mind telling me why you sticked with Geronimo?

> Thanks a lot Mario,
> GB

of its class loading problems...  So should I switch to JBoss or GlassFish? :)

>> Thanks,
>> GB

although it is my first time dealing with that kind of issue (deploying a WAR to Tomcat is
much simpler).

>>> According to this URL (http://www.chariotsolutions.com/geronimo/ejb.html) :
>>>
>>> "If the EJB JAR file is included in an application EAR, then Geronimo will respect
Class-Path entries in the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file of the EJB JAR. Any JARs referenced there
should also be packaged within the EAR, and paths to JAR files will be resolved relative to
the position of the EJB JAR file in the EAR. If the EJB JAR file is not included in an EAR,
then manifest class path entries will be ignored. In either case, external libraries can also
be placed in the Geronimo server repository and referenced with dependency elements in the
Geronimo deployment plan (see Section 12.3.1, Customizing the Class Path)."

>>> My EAR contains an EJB JAR which includes a META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file, which
does include the libraries that should be in the classpath.  However, those libraries are
not found at runtime.  Here is my EAR's structure:

>>> promo-ear.ear
>>> + commons-*.jar
>>> + spring-*.jar
>>> + other-libraries.jar
>>> + promo-server.jar
>>>   + all-classes.class (including some EJB implementations - not interfaces)
>>>   + META-INF
>>>     + ejb-jar.xml
>>>     + MANIFEST.MF (containing a Class-path entry with references to libraries
in the EAR, such as spring-*.jar without any path)
>>> + promo-api.jar
>>>   + all-ejb-interfaces.class (not implementations)
>>>   + META-INF
>>>     + MANIFEST.MF (with no Class-path entry)
>>> + promo-web.war
>>>   + all web content (JSP, CSS, JS, etc.)
>>>   + WEB-INF
>>>     + web.xml
>>> + META-INF
>>>   + application.xml
>>>   + MANIFEST.MF
>>>
>>> Somehow the Spring library is not visible since I get the following message:
>>>
>>> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.springframework.context.support.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext
in classloader default/promo-ear-2.0.0-snapshot_promo-web-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.war/1152257080360/car

>>> Surely there must be a way to have a self-contained EAR, which can reference
its own libraries.  How can this be done?