geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Mario Ruebsam <mario.rueb...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Self-contained EAR
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 08:27:08 GMT
It worked nice with G 1.0, the problem report was in release phase of 1.1 so
you could evaluate with G 1.0. The class loading problems will be fixed.

btw, I evaluated JBoss and JSAS and had a production system running on it,
but I'm still here ;-)

Thanks,
Mario

gb.forums@yahoo.com wrote:
> Super...
>
> The funny thing is that I'm evaluating Geronimo as a replacement for OC4J because of
its class loading problems...  So should I switch to JBoss or GlassFish? :)

> Thanks,
> GB

it is my first time dealing with that kind of issue (deploying a WAR to Tomcat is much simpler).

>> According to this URL (http://www.chariotsolutions.com/geronimo/ejb.html) :
>>
>> "If the EJB JAR file is included in an application EAR, then Geronimo will respect
Class-Path entries in the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file of the EJB JAR. Any JARs referenced there
should also be packaged within the EAR, and paths to JAR files will be resolved relative to
the position of the EJB JAR file in the EAR. If the EJB JAR file is not included in an EAR,
then manifest class path entries will be ignored. In either case, external libraries can also
be placed in the Geronimo server repository and referenced with dependency elements in the
Geronimo deployment plan (see Section 12.3.1, Customizing the Class Path)."

>> My EAR contains an EJB JAR which includes a META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file, which does
include the libraries that should be in the classpath.  However, those libraries are not found
at runtime.  Here is my EAR's structure:

>> promo-ear.ear
>> + commons-*.jar
>> + spring-*.jar
>> + other-libraries.jar
>> + promo-server.jar
>>   + all-classes.class (including some EJB implementations - not interfaces)
>>   + META-INF
>>     + ejb-jar.xml
>>     + MANIFEST.MF (containing a Class-path entry with references to libraries in
the EAR, such as spring-*.jar without any path)
>> + promo-api.jar
>>   + all-ejb-interfaces.class (not implementations)
>>   + META-INF
>>     + MANIFEST.MF (with no Class-path entry)
>> + promo-web.war
>>   + all web content (JSP, CSS, JS, etc.)
>>   + WEB-INF
>>     + web.xml
>> + META-INF
>>   + application.xml
>>   + MANIFEST.MF
>>
>> Somehow the Spring library is not visible since I get the following message:
>>
>> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.springframework.context.support.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext
in classloader default/promo-ear-2.0.0-snapshot_promo-web-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.war/1152257080360/car

>> Surely there must be a way to have a self-contained EAR, which can reference its
own libraries.  How can this be done?