geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Stefan Arentz" <stefan.are...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adding new deployable module types
Date Sat, 10 Jun 2006 20:16:55 GMT
On 6/10/06, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
> Funny you should ask...  I'm writing a Wiki page on how to do this
> with a plugin in Geronimo 1.1 as we speak.  The bottom line is that
> you have to write a pretty hairy deployer class, but most of it is
> relatively boilerplate code, just unpleasant boilerplate.  :)

Interesting! Can you post a link to that page when it is available?

> For purposes of the example I'm working on, this would be something
> deployed separately from J2EE modules (e.g. you couldn't pack one in
> an EAR).  I think we're still undecided as to whether you ought to be
> able to pack non-J2EE modules into EARs, or whether we ought to have
> some larger ZIP/JAR format that holds an EAR along with other modules
> if you want to deploy them together, or something else entirely.  What
> do you think?

Short term: simple deployable spring applications - I have a lot of
applications that are just a bunch of Spring beans talking to JMS or
Quartz for example. It would be really nice if I could just deploy
those to Geronimo. These apps usually don't have a web interface and
just turning them into a .war for bootstrapping the Spring context
seems a bit lame.

Long term: What I'm interested in is building a 'Spring Application
Server'. For me that would be a Geronimo instance that provides a
certain base of functionality. For example: Spring 2.0, OpenJPA, a
Transaction Manager, Quartz, ActiveMQ and Derby.

Just making life easier for myself while building applications :-) It
would be nice to be able to just pick the components that I like most
and use them to build an app server environment for my own needs.

I'm not very interested in following 'industry' specs/apis. I'm more
interested in getting the job done with my favorite tools. Geronimo
sounds like a good platform for that.

I would even go so far as defining a new .ear style deployment unit to
be able to bundle a bunch of web and spring apps. Oh and what I really
like is to be able to deploy resources to automatically make database
pools and JMS queues/topics.

 S.