geronimo-user mailing list archives

From j...@21technologies.com
Subject Re: Dynamically creating datasources
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:43:12 GMT
Hmm, let me try again.
The general idea is that the application itself will be deployed with one
configured datasource. That datasource will provide database connections
to a central "directory DB" of sorts. If the application is ever shutdown
or restarted, this should be the only datasource that is immediately
available. I would like any/all access to this "directory DB" to be
managed by Geronimo (connection pooling, transactions, etc).

Part of the application behavior is to add/remove named "data DBs". This
will be done by persisting connection information for these "data DBs"
into said "directory DB". Application behavior also includes the ability
to make connections to these "data DBs" and using them. I would like
any/all access to these "data DBs" to be done via dynamically created
datasources that are managed by Geronimo (connection pooling,
transactions, etc). I would then access these datasources via any
available mechanism (ex. JNDI).

I'd like to be able to handle my connection pooling/management via
Geronimo without having to do something that requires manual intervention.
For example, every time I create a new "data DB", I don't want to have to
manually go into the Geronimo UI to create a new datasource. I also want
to ensure that the connection information is not persisted inside Geronimo
configurations at shutdown, because the connection information in my
"directory DB" is subject to change outside of my application. I want the
"directory DB" to be the configuration master. I want to
view/manage/monitor the "data DB" pools from Geronimo. I just don't want
it saving all of my info on module shutdown.

All code is deployed once. There will be no runtime deployment of new code
to go with the new databases, per se.

Does that make more sense?

--
Jimmy Wan
Senior Technical Lead

Phone: 512-342-0010 x249
Email: jwan@21technologies.com
may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy
this message, delete any copies held on your systems and notify the sender
immediately. You should not retain, copy or use this email for any
purpose, nor disclose all or any part of its content to any other person.