geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Dynamically creating datasources
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2006 16:14:33 GMT

On Jun 26, 2006, at 5:24 AM, paul.newport@targetgroup.net wrote:

> Why don't you dynamically programmatically create something like an
>
>  org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource
>

> and then just cache the instance of that in a Map for use whenever
> you need it. That way your code is app server indpendent.

That would be app server independent, but it would also preclude any
container managed transaction features such as use of UserTransaction
or CMT ejbs.  If you don't need any features like these this might
well be your simplest solution.

There is no way to bind any such datasource into the java:comp jndi
namespace and as the contents of this namespace are specified by the
j2ee spec this is not likely to change.

Can you specify a bit more fully when the configuration info in the
database is available, when it changes related to when the app is
deployed/started/stopped, and how you want your program to get the
reference to the datasources?

thanks
david jencks