geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JavaMail support in AG
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:14:22 GMT
Santosh Koti wrote:

> As of now , it is a Sun’s implementation, in future AG is going to
> come up with its own version.

Not strictly true. Geronimo 1.0 ships with an implementation of 1.3, but
it is a very limited implementation (basically enough to pass the
certification tests). Most people choose to replace the limited Geronimo
version with the Sun implementation currently. Geronimo 1.1, which
should be released "any day now" has a complete implementation of 1.3,
but only ships with an SMTP provider.

Further on, work is underway to make the javamail implementation a
separate component that can be installed as a plugin. That version will
add support for a POP3 Store, and NNTP Store and Transports. IMAP
support is also in the works.

Parallel with that, we'll also have a javamail 1.4 implementation. The
work on the API code is done, so it's basically working out the
build/packaging issues after Geronimo 1.1 ships. The only provider code
that appears to exploit 1.4 features is the IMAP provider, so there will
be SMTP, POP3, and NNTP support available immediately.

Rick