geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Exceptions in 1.1 build 20060607
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 15:31:03 GMT
Krishnakumar B wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying running some basic samples that use Database pools with 1.1
>
> I am creating a new Database Pool called NewDataSource. When i use
> this in my web application it throws an exception. I have set database
> as SystemDatabase.
>
> I am able to use only SystemDatasource that comes built with the server.
>
> SQL Exception: Failed to start database 'SystemDatabase', see the next
> exception
> for details.
>    =====   SNIP  ====
>        at
> org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadP
> ool.java:684)
> java.lang.NullPointerExceptionnull
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Krish

Hi Krish -

You may have already seen this message: David Jencks posted a resolution
earlier today for a NullPointerExpection being thrown when starting a
Derby database in as application scoped datasource using 1.1.  If I
understand his resolution correctly a CAR dependency needs to be defined
on the System datasource so the Derby classes from the System
classloader are used by the application.  The problem is caused when the
Derby driver is loaded in a different classloader by the application.
See the thread : subject -  unable to run a simple jsp application for
complete information.

HTH,  Stanley