geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Mario Rübsam ...@coderesearch.com>
Subject Re: Problem with Geronimo 1.0, PreparedStatements, pools and MaxDB
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 09:10:24 GMT
David,

David Jencks wrote:

> On May 31, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Mario Rübsam wrote:
>
>> Going up the call stack I noticed that the commit on the
>> connection is only done when commitBeforeAutoCommit is true.
>> My commitBeforeAutoCommit is false as suggested. Why is
>> the Autocommit set always to true?
>
> There are 2 things going on here:
>
> -- Whether or not it's a good idea, we've implemented all the
> connection.commit() etc operations in terms of the J2CA connector
> framework spi LocalTransaction class.  The required semantics of this
> are that outside a transaction, the connection is in autocommit mode.
> Therefore when you call connection.commit(), we turn that
> intoLocalTransaction.commit();
> //now the connection is in autocommit mode
> LocalTransaction.begin(); // this resets autocommit off.
>
> IIRC not doing this causes lots and lots of problems trying to
> synchronize the tx and autocommit state between a connection.commit call
> and a LocalTransaction.commit() call.

thanks for clarification on that setAutoCommit instead of
calling the commit directly.

I found the passage in the JDBC spec:

"The default is for auto-commit mode to be enabled when the Connection object is
created. If the value of auto-commit is changed in the middle of a transaction,
the current transaction is committed. If setAutoCommit is called and the value
for auto-commit is not changed from its current value, it is treated as a
no-op."

> -- The jdbc spec requires that setting autocommit(true) should commit
> all pending work.  Therefore, to commit the work in the local tx and
> turn on autocommit, the state we want to be in after the first line
> above, we _should_ just need to call setAutoCommit(true).  However some
> drivers don't do this properly: the only one I know of is axion.  The
> commitBeforeAutoCommit flag is to let the tranql connector work with
> these buggy drivers.

Doing commit via the setAutoCommit(true) you can add the MaxDB,
PostgreSQL, MySQL driver to the list of problematic drivers.
These are not following the JDBC spec in that particular case.

the MaxDB driver code (from the source archive) do the following:

setAutoCommit(true) --> commit
setAutoCommit(false) --> no commit

the MaxDB driver code (decompiled via jad) do the following:

change only the current AutoCommit setting
setAutoCommit(true) --> no commit
setAutoCommit(false) --> no commit

I did't like sources that are not compatible
with the binary version.

the PostgreSQL driver:

if current AutoCommit setting not changed --> do nothing
setAutoCommit(true) --> no commit
setAutoCommit(false) --> commit

the MySQL driver:

change only the current AutoCommit setting
setAutoCommit(true) --> no commit
setAutoCommit(false) --> no commit

Does the setAutoCommit(true) change the current Connection to AutoCommit
mode or ist this only a local setting to finish the transaction?

> Can you test if setAutoCommit(true) is actually committing the work in
> maxDb?

no, it doesn't see above (jad decompiled version),
in difference to the available sources archive

 > If not, the commitBeforeAutocommit flag set to true should
> definitely force a commit.

It forces a commit, but this is working only when AutoCommit
is not set to false via the drivers URI or the DB-Server
(a note for the SAPDB or MaxDB users out there).

Thanks guys for helping me out of the jungle. I really appreciate
it. There should be an Geronimo documentation entry in the db
deployment section which documents (and names) the behaviour of
that drivers that are not JDBC compliant on that setAutoCommit().
Without that knowledge one create very big transactions that
are rolled back or auto committed by the db server after a while.
In case of MaxDB after about 7 minutes of doing nothing ;-)

MySQL, MaxDB or PostgreSQL are common DBMS, is anybody here in the
list using one of that DBMS with Geronimo and own transaction
handling?

Thanks,
Mario