geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Clough, Ray C PWR" <Ray.Clo...@pwr.utc.com>
Subject RE: service?
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:05:27 GMT
You're right on all accounts:  Windows Service, user-name starting the
service, etc.  I'm not using mapped drives, but rather Samba-enabled
paths to Linux-system resident files.

I'm wondering if the v1.1 will have an installer app, and the ability to
run as a service without the 3rd party service wrapper.  Given
Geronimo's extensive use of 3rd party components, even if it can run as
a service "out-of-the-box", it will probably use that same wrapper.
Probably that won't work either, but it is the best hope I've been able
to come up with on my own.

Thanks,
- Ray Clough

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay D. McHugh [mailto:jay@joyfulnoisewebdesign.com]
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 1:58 PM
To: user@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: service?

Clough, Ray C PWR wrote:

> Is v1.1 going to be installable as a service?
>
> I installed v1.0 using the JavaServiceWrapper, as described on the
> Geronimo site, and mostly it works fine, but I have one web app which
> works with Geronimo started from the command line, but not with
> Geronimo started as a service.  The problem is obscure, but in essence

> the app needs to read some files from the LAN, and the
> running-as-a-service version can't find them.
>
> I'm hoping that Geronimo running as a service in its own right would
> have one less layer of 'stuff' between it and the OS, and so might be
> able to find the files.
>
> - Ray Clough

Ray,

I think the problem you are having is unrelated to Geronimo.  I have
tried to start other programs as services but have sometimes been unable
to because drive mappings don't work very well (or maybe at all) when
creating services.

You can try adjusting the user that the services is being started up as,
but if you need something on a mapped drive - I don't think that which
user you start the service as will make a difference.  (I am assuming
that you are talking about a Windows service).

Jay