geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Lin Sun" <>
Subject RE: Can I simply drop a WAR/JAR/EAR into the deploy directory
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:23:41 GMT
Actually, depends on what type of plan you drop to the deploy directory.  If
the plan can be deployed by itself (without specifying any war/jar/ear/rar
file) I think it will work.  I have successfully drop my ldap plan to the
deploy directory, but no luck with database plan.

-----Original Message-----
From: Santosh Koti []
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 1:40 AM
Subject: RE: Can I simply drop a WAR/JAR/EAR into the deploy directory

This is not possible.!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Afkham Azeez []

Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 6:02 PM

Similarly, is it also possible to drop a Geronimo plan.xml file into
some directory and get things working, instead of deploying it using
the deployer tool? FYI, my geronimo plan.xml (say x-plan.xml) contains
Datasource configuration.

On 6/13/06, Paul McMahan <> wrote:
> You're right that applications that have been hot deployed can't be
> redeployed using the deployer tool.  But they can be redeployed by
> replacing the file in the deploy directory.  I think the moral of the
> story is to pick the deployment method that best matches your
> development and/or maintenance practices and stick to it :-)
> There's a bit of doc on hot deploy at:
> Best wishes,
> Paul
> On 6/12/06, Bryan Noll <> wrote:
> > I believe that you can, but it is not the 'recommended' way of
> > applications with Geronimo.  Someone more experienced with the
> > who has thought through it more thoroughly than I will have to say
> > but one thing that comes to mind immediately is the ability to
> > 're-deploy' with the tool wouldn't exists if you just drop a file in
> > directory.
> >
> > --Bryan
> >
> > Afkham Azeez wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm a Geronimo newbie. I was wondering whether everything would
> > > ok if I simply drop by WAR/JAR/EAR into Geronimo's deploy
> > > instead of using the Geronimo deploy tool. Will this work?

Afkham Azeez

for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further,
you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to
any other person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain
viruses. Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this
risk, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any
virus in this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus checks before
opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and
review the content of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address.
Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys
e-mail system.