geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Lin Sun" <linsun....@gmail.com>
Subject in-place deployment
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:14:28 GMT
Thanks.  I executed deploy.bat but didn't see the -inPlace option from the
help menu.  Should we add this option to the output of executing deploy.bat?

Then I saw David Jenck's article
(http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/GERONIMO/Exposing+We
b+Applications+on+distinct+ports), so I figured out I can just call
"deploy.bat deploy --inPlace" to use it.  What I found out is if I execute:

deploy.bat deploy --inPlace path\hello.war

I got the following error:
    Error: Unable to distribute hello-1.1.war: In place deployment is
    not allowed for packed module

Then I tried:
deploy.bat deploy --inPlace path\hello

and it worked well.  I did see David used an ear file as the last parameter
in the example given in the article...

Lin

-----Original Message-----
From: ammulder@gmail.com [mailto:ammulder@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Aaron
Mulder
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 2:42 PM
To: dev@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: RELEASE-NOTES-1.1

On 6/13/06, Lin Sun <linsun.unc@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to learn what the in-place deployment mean and how to use it.
> My understanding was that users can update the hot deploy files (for
> example, update one jsp file) in the Geronimo_home\deploy directory and
> server will redeploy the change automatically.   This was not working in
> 1.0, as users need to replace the entire directory in the
> Geronimo_home\deploy directory.

That should be true in both 1.0 and 1.1 (if not, I guess it's a bug).

But in 1.1, there is a separate option, which is to not copy your
files to the hot deploy directory at all, but instead use the deploy
tool with a special option to enable an in-place deployment.  This
means that instead of copying your files into the server directory at
all, it will deploy and access them from wherever they currently are.

Thanks,
    Aaron