geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: how to extend the classpath of Geronimo???
Date Sat, 20 May 2006 15:25:22 GMT

On May 19, 2006, at 5:27 AM, Joerg Friede wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> being quite new to Geronimo i'm stunned that there seems to be no
> common way to extend the classpath for geronimo.
>
> I do have a jar-file which contains some utility classes that my
> ejb-app's need and tried to put this jar in the classpath doing the
> following:
>
> *) extend the CLASSPATH environment variable --> class not found
> exception
>
> *) start the server with -cp switch --> server does not start at all
>
> *) put my jar in <GERONIMO_HOME>/lib, <GERONIMO_HOME>/lib/endorsed,
> <GERONIMO_HOME>/lib/extension --> class not found exception
>
> *) added the jar to repository and tried to reference it from the
> deployment descriptor (openejb-jar.xml) as follows
>      /<openejb-jar   xmlns="http://www.openejb.org/xml/ns/openejb-
> jar" configId="Data-Service">
>    <import>
>        <uri>MyJar/MyJar/1.0/jar</uri>
>    </import>
>    <enterprise-beans>
>        <session>
>            <ejb-name>DataManager</ejb-name>
>            <jndi-name>DataManager</jndi-name>
>            <local-jndi-name>DataManagerLocal</local-jndi-name>
>        </session>
>    </enterprise-beans>
> </openejb-jar>/

This is the way to add your jar, but you need to use the
<dependency>
     <uri>MyJar/MyJay/1.0/jar</uri>
</dependency>

element (in geronimo 1.0).  The <import> element can only refer to
another configuration, not a plain jar.

In 1.1 we have changed the syntax for this quite a bit so both jars
and configurations (now renamed modules) are referred to with the
<dependency> element.  (This is not a complete description of the
syntax differences).

Hope this helps,
david jencks