geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Issue using JavaMail with Geronimo 1.0
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 13:28:22 GMT
Fran Varin wrote:
> We are trying to configure Geronimo to use the JavaMail API and experiencing
> some difficulty with the configuration. We have configured the GBean as
> follows:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> <configuration xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment"
> configId="geronimo/AmicaEmailGBean">
>      <dependency>
>           <uri>geronimo/geronimo-mail/1.0</uri>
>      </dependency>
>      <dependency>
>           <uri>geronimo/geronimo-javamail-transport/1.0</uri>
>      </dependency>
>      <gbean name="protocol.smtp"
> class="org.apache.geronimo.mail.SMTPTransportGBean">
>          <attribute name="host">our host</attribute>
>           <attribute name="port">25</attribute>
>      </gbean>
>
>      <gbean name="mail/MailSession"
> class="org.apache.geronimo.mail.MailGBean">
>           <attribute name="transportProtocol">smtp</attribute>
>           <attribute name="useDefault">true</attribute>
>           <attribute name="properties">mail.debug=true</attribute>
>           <reference name="Protocols">
>                <name>protocol.smtp</name>
>           </reference>
>
>      </gbean>
> </configuration>
>

> and in the Geronimo-web.xml file we try to "link" to it using this entry...
>
> <resource-ref>
>       <ref-name>geronimo/AmicaEmailGBean</ref-name>
>       <target-name>
>             geronimo.server:J2EEApplication=null,
>             J2EEModule=Amica/Amica,
>             J2EEServer=geronimo,
>             j2eeType=JavaMailResource,
>             name=MailSession
>
>       </target-name>
>     </resource-ref>
>

> The above configuration deployed fine but, when we run the application that
> uses JavaMail we receive the following Exception on the console.
>
> Class Name = com.amica.application.viewpaybill.BillingPaymentProcessor
> Stack Trace:
> java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Method not yet implemented
>       at javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage.addRecipients(MimeMessage.java:287)
>       at javax.mail.Message.addRecipient(Message.java:230)
>       at
> com.amica.framework.services.OutboundEmailMgr.send(OutboundEmailMgr.java:109)
>

> We have reviewed other posts and articles regarding the above exception and
> used that information as a basis for the above configuration. Also, we d/l'd
> the Geronimo/Ruby installation (We're using the Tomcat version) to extract
> the missing Geronimo JAR files that support Mail.
>

> Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Your configuration is correct.  Unfortunately, the javamail
implementation that ships with Geronimo 1.0 is a bit incomplete.   One
of the unimplemented features is the addRecipients() method that takes
an array of Address[] items.  You can generally get around this by using
the addRecipients() method that uses a String value for the addresses.

The javamail implementation that will be shipping in 1.1 should be a
complete implementation (i.e., any problems encountered will be
considered bugs rather than "todo" items).   The never version will be
shipping "very soon now".

Rick