geronimo-user mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Classpath for an external application
Date Fri, 12 May 2006 07:08:42 GMT
Zakharov, Vasily M wrote:

> Hil, all,
>

> I'm working with an external applicaition (SPECjAppServer2004 Driver)
> that uses JNDI to access the EJBs deployed in Geronimo 1.0.
>

> I have had to provide a rather long classpath for that application to
> work normally, containing:
>

> ${GERONIMO}/bin/server.jar
>
> ${GERONIMO}/repository/org.apache.geronimo.specs/jars/geronimo-ejb_2.1_spec-1.0.jar
>
> ${GERONIMO}/repository/org.apache.geronimo.specs/jars/geronimo-j2ee-jacc_1.0_spec-1.0.jar
>
> ${GERONIMO}/repository/geronimo/jars/geronimo-security-1.0.jar
>
> ${GERONIMO}/repository/openejb/jars/openejb-core-2.0.jar
>

> I wonder if there is a smarter way to provide an external application
> with a reasonable classpath. Maybe some manifest-only jar exists for
> that purpose, or something.
>

> Any good news on that? :)

FYI.. There is related JIRA for this issue under the OpenEJB project:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/OPENEJB-19

I had an application that had a similar requirement that was a
standalone java app (not a "J2EE" application client) that used
OpenEJB's JNDI access to EJBs.

Long term I was thinking that we could provide a uber-jar for OpenEJB
with the dependencies that it requires for clients that are standalone
apps to simplify the classpath configuration for those standalone apps.
This needs further discussion, as I'm not sure if others are keen on
uber-jars.

Another area where things could be improved from a client perspective is
to have an openejb-client jar that only contains the classes needed for
clients.

As a workaround to the classpath issue, If you aren't booting the kernel
then you could probably create a manifest-only jar that points to the
files you showed above (the jars could also be placed in a different
directory structure that matches the existing app if required).  You
wouldn't need the server.jar file then.

John