geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Dennis Cartier" <dennis.cart...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem deploying under Jetty version of Geronimo
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 19:05:40 GMT
On 4/3/06, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
> Is there a JIRA for "the threadlocal issue"?  I'm not sure what it
> involves and if it's a known problem I'm hoping it's documented
> somewhere...

In my investigation of the issue, it appeared that a peculiarity of
Tomcat's architecture was responsible for the memory leak. The links
below are about Hibernate, which I do not use, but my spring app does
use the same base tools (CGLIB) as Hibernate.

http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?p=2255431#2255431

and a Spring related link, which I do use.

http://forum.springframework.org/showthread.php?t=21383&highlight=memory

A good explanation, in general terms is at:
http://www.patrickpeak.com/page/patrick/?anchor=your_web_app_is_leaking

I was not however able to find a JIRA for this issue. I am already
using CGLIB 2.1.3 as well, which was one of the suggested fixes.

This issue is mainly causing me annoyance at the moment during the
development cycle of redeploying an app to test changes. I have not
stated using Geronimo in production yet as I was holding out for 1.1
first.

This issue came quickly to light as I have been unable to expand the
PermGen space for Geronimo on windows. When I tried the recommendation
of adding increasing the PermGen space using the setenv.bat file,
Geronimo fails to start no matter what I set the values to. This would
only delay the inevitable, but it would be less annoying.

Also, I should point out, that this is all under JDK 1.5, but I do not
use any of the J2EE features that are known to have issues with 1.5.

Dennis